Help me decide between Franklin Pit and Millscale

Yeah I got the same email and hit the "want to find out more, email us" button and then they sent me a pdf flyer. It was a lot of photos and explanation of how to take care of the raw pit along with some accessories like the water pan, drip bucket and optional cover. Prices are good for a month, which probably has to do with raw materials going up in price, so i have some time to decide. Im going to call them this morning and find out a bit more about their materials etc. Good news is that if i pull the trigger i can have one in 4-8 weeks, in time for a nice spring/summer of cooking.

I did what you suggested and hit the "want to find out more" tab and they sent me the info and offer to buy. Now to decide if I want to buy one.

I actually used my M1 as a stick burner for the first time the other day and while the process went okay, I still have some things to learn about stick burning and I'm still not sure if I like the baby sitting aspect of it. The food did turn out very good though.

I did what you suggested and hit the "want to find out more" tab and they sent me the info and offer to buy. Now to decide if I want to buy one.

I actually used my M1 as a stick burner for the first time the other day and while the process went okay, I still have some things to learn about stick burning and I'm still not sure if I like the baby sitting aspect of it. The food did turn out very good though.

Nice! Come on in the pool, water is warm. Its definitely more work, but i think this one is going to hold heat very well and at least make you work less hard in nice conditions. Plus the flavor difference is worth it, in my opinion. Anyway, good luck with the decision! The office was super helpful when I called them.

Update from the Franklin pits team on the thickness of the various parts of the pit:

"The main pipe is 1/4” wall, and most of the flat parts cut from plate are 5/16” - including the two walls that meet up between the cook chamber and firebox. The firebox is double walled with an air gap for insulation and the back plate on the firebox door is 3/8” steel."

Nice! Come on in the pool, water is warm. Its definitely more work, but i think this one is going to hold heat very well and at least make you work less hard in nice conditions. Plus the flavor difference is worth it, in my opinion. Anyway, good luck with the decision! The office was super helpful when I called them.

Thank you. At least I have a month to think about it.

Update from the Franklin pits team on the thickness of the various parts of the pit:

"The main pipe is 1/4” wall, and most of the flat parts cut from plate are 5/16” - including the two walls that meet up between the cook chamber and firebox. The firebox is double walled with an air gap for insulation and the back plate on the firebox door is 3/8” steel."

I was under the impression the cook chamber was 5/16, but that makes more sense. I hope I didn't mislead anyone. My pit is getting crated on Monday and hopefully I'll have it sometime next week. I'm super excited! My wife says I gotta sell the Old Country. I'm not looking forward to dealing with facebook marketplace flakes.

Back