What's Your Favorite Hot Sauce?

Hoorenga

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Of course we would appreciate an explanation of why it is good, how hot is it and a link or picture. For a general guide I would consider Tobasco a 4 on a scale of one to ten (can't hurt ya). Ten being something like Dave's insanity (friggin burn your lips off hot)

Mine is West Indies Creole Hot Pepper Sauce and is my all time favorite sauce for a number of reasons. For one it comes in a fairly large bottle (10 oz). It has a beautiful label. The taste is exquisite and the heat is powerful (7). Not just another pretty face.
http://www.calantilles.com/Order/HPprScspec.html

My second favorite is called Ring of Fire (original). Again I like the fact that it comes in a larger than usual bottle (12.5 oz). This sauce has a very complexed flavor and is good and hot (6). http://www.mikeanddianes.com/products_sauces.asp

I don't appreciate a hot sauce that burns you for no reason other than to prove that it is hot. If I'm going to get burned it needs to be for a reason. Tasting a good hot sauce should be like getting slapped by a beautiful woman. It hurts so good! I'm not a fan of hot sauces that simply burn you with no reward other than the burn. Call it unmanly but I expec :twisted: t something for my suffering.

Not overly hot, but good flavor, Cholula is my favorite.

I'm not into to pain while eating..:mad: So much so, that I'm giving Sawdust a 3 pack of Tortuga Hot sauces at tonights mini bash:smile:

SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE

This is a well known sauce but I just discovered it this year. some folks call it rooster sauce. Even though it is an asian company based out of the L.A. area it is great on any and everything. They have it at World Market and asian food stores around here but you can order it on the net too. :grin:

jgh1204 said:
Not overly hot, but good flavor, Cholula is my favorite.

Good stuff. Usually have a bottle around somewhere.

ZILLA said:
SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE

This is a well known sauce but I just discovered it this year. some folks call it rooster sauce. Even though it is an asian company based out of the L.A. area it is great on any and everything. They have it at World Market and asian food stores around here but you can order it on the net too. :grin:

I usually keep a bottle of Srirachca sauce and sometimes the garlic/chili sauce too. Love it on fried rice, yakisoba, etc. Good stuff. After 7 years in Japan I got used to the chili sauce and/or the little red topped red pepper on the table (forget the name of it - it is a Japanese product).

For cooking I like Crystal (bummer that they may have ceased production due to storm damage), Frank's, or Texas Pete. Crystal is really good in Hooter style wing sauce!

I don't buy for heat much anymore...between potential reflux and 'rhoids I just don't need the extra aggravation!:eek:

I usually have a bottle or two of Tabasco around (sometimes you just have to have "that" flavor)...and I make my own pepper vinegar - right now I have a bottle of cider vinegar with pulverized Thai peppers - it's been getting happy in the refrigerator for a while...it will definately spice up a sauce, chili, etc. I can't really rate the heat on any of these since I have a pretty high tolerance and shoot for flavor enhancement instead of pure heat now day!:biggrin:

ZILLA said:
SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE

Yeah, that's a good one. Have a bottle on my counter along with my other favorites. There is also an oriental sweet chilly sauce that is outragious. It usually comes in a big bottle and is a great dipping sauce. Unfortunatly I don't have the name of it but it is made by several companys. A guy called Big Dan sells a version of it but usually you have to get it from an oriental store or in the asian food section of your local store. I would rate it mild and wild because of the sweet and sour aspect of it. Great for wings and such.
http://importfood.com/samp1001.html
Not to be confused by other sauces produced by Sum Yung Guy or Won Hung Low.

My favorite is the big brother to Siracha from Huy Fong Foods foods. This is called Sambal Oelek and is more of a chilli sauce/paste and is pretty a course mixture with lots of great chilli flavor. There is a bit of heat but its by no means excessive. I recomend it to all..... Here is a bit from their site....

Sambal Oelek is made of chilies with no other additives such as garlic or spices for a more simpler taste. Use this sauce to add heat to a dish without altering the other delicate flavors.

oelek.jpg

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

Last edited:
My first choice is Frank's Red Hot sauce and I get it by the gallon at Sam's. I keep a small bottle in the fridge at home and at work and put it on just about everything. I like it mainly because it's not just heat, it has a good twang to it.

Louisiana Hot Sauce is another one I like but it's more heat than twang.

I like tobasco. Nothin fancy, but not overpowering either. I used to grow every kind of chile imaginable, and can down a habanero whole, but find most hot sauces to be wastes of time and food. I guess they are "fun" but beyond about a 4-5 you are just obliterating the taste of whatever you are trying to enhance.

Cholula for Mexican food.
Crystal and Louisiana Hot Sauce for everything.
Franks on wings.
"Pepper Vinegar" on veggies.
Any above on pizza.

I also like to not overpower my food. I've been stock piling Crystal when I find it. And I never pay for Franks. Always coupons- when doubled, it's free. I have about 8 bottles of different Franks in the pantry.

Ty

Valentina salsa picante. traditional mexican sauce, not to hot and very flavorful.

Attachments

• mex-grocer_1875_2060356.gif
    mex-grocer_1875_2060356.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 69
I make my own Hot Sauce....4 - 5 Japs (stressed), 3 - 4 cloves of garlic (bout 1" dia.), 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, 1/4 Major League Baseball sized white onion, bout 2 Tbs of black pepper, 2 tsp of garlic salt and salt to taste, 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce and 2 - 8 oz. cans of whole tomatos....put in blender and belnd for about 15 seconds....you can adjust the heat by adding or decreasing the japs.

I use tobasco most of the time. I've tried lots of others, but keep going back to tobasco time and time again.

Guido

This is a tough question... I have so many favorites! :)

For daily use on fired foods, in soups and stews - Tobasco
On Mexican foods, Cholula
On Asian foods, Rooster sauce
For glazing on pork chops and chicken chests, Jazz Foods Honey-Jalapeno sauces (sweet hot, not too hot, though)
For a different taste, I also like Mrs. Dog's Dangerously Hot Pepper Sauce (its sweet-hot)

ZILLA said:
SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE

I keep a bottle of this in my fridge for anything Asian I make or bring home. Good stuff.

I only use Tabasco in restaurants when they don't have anything else.

Mexican - Tapatio. Really good flavor and lots cheaper than Cholula
Asian - Siri...srici...Rooster Sauce
Cajun/Creole - Trappey's, Crystal, Louisiana or when I can get it, Ragin Cajun Garlic Sauce.
For adding heat while cooking - El Yucateco Caribbean or <a href="http://www.insanechicken.com/Da_Bomb_hot_sauce.html">Da Bomb</a>

Back