Kobe Brisket

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament. The American Royal is the on comp a year that we have a sponsor. It's a full sponsorship, requiring only we cook food for the employee party the company has out there on Friday night. Long story short, my wife (who works there) sends me an e-mail with the options for our meats from Bichelmeyer, the company we get our Royal meat through.

One of those options this year is Kobe (in addition to choice and prime). Now, I'm not the type with the means or the will to spend $100+ on a single brisket. However, for free (to me), I'd really like to try it out. I've heard that you have to cook Kobe/Wagyu beef differently than a regular CAB brisket, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. We don't realistically have a shot at winning, but we obviously want to do well.

Given that this would be my only time to cook this grade of beef, what do you guys say....is it worth it? Also, what changes would need to be made to the cook?

Personally if you don't have a chance to do several practice cooks I wouldn't do it. You have as good of chance as anybody to win. Why take a chance on something new?

Every piece of advice I've ever heard about competition BBQ says, the place to try something new is anywhere except a competition. It would be an extremely expensive place to experiment. Stick w/ what you know and have practiced.

Here is what I did with a Snake River Farms Black Label Brisket.

1. Remove from Cryo, wash and dry. Decided not to trim, as the trim level on the fat cap was quite good. The wedge of fat that is often between the point and flat was small enough not to trim.

2. Rubbed the brisket up and let sit while the cooker got ready.

3. Put on cooker at 275F grate temperature, and after an hour, I let the cooker come up to 300F, and let it ride to probe tender

4. Removed and rested for two hours, Foil tent, no wrapping or cooler.

5. Separated and sliced.

My final opinion, it cooked through a process that was identical to Angus or Select briskets, except that it was already well trimmed and it cooked a little faster. It did stall a bit, and it was juicy as all get out. I would go for it.

Every piece of advice I've ever heard about competition BBQ says, the place to try something new is anywhere except a competition. It would be an extremely expensive place to experiment. Stick w/ what you know and have practiced.

Me too...I just didn't know how big a difference the meat really was between a Kobe and a prime (we usually get prime from Sam's for our briskets).

Thanks for the feedback!

if you are getting it free, how about trying it out at your company party meal?

Can you cook 2 briskets? I personally don't think they cook much different. Do one of each.

IDK....you may have to send me over a couple to testout....you know just to be sure....:mrgreen:

Their web site says "American Kobe" available upon request. Do you know what their source is? The term American Kobe makes me think it may be Snake River Farms.

Their web site says "American Kobe" available upon request. Do you know what their source is? The term American Kobe makes me think it may be Snake River Farms.

There is NO such thing as American Kobe. Im guessing its a Wagyu.

Not much diff in cooking compared to a prime. Good luck.

There is NO such thing as American Kobe. Im guessing its a Wagyu.

Not much diff in cooking compared to a prime. Good luck.

I am aware of your main point, but SRF mentions the term on their web site. That is why I was guessing they might use SRF as their source.

"Family owned and operated, SNAKE RIVER FARMS works with farmers and ranchers with a similar philosophy for producing the highest quality. SNAKE RIVER FARMS crosses its premiere Japanese Wagyu cattle with Black Angus cattle to create American Wagyu Beef. Often called American Kobe Beef, the proprietary herd has developed into one of the most highly regarded groups of Wagyu/Angus crossed cattle in the world. SNAKE RIVER FARMS believes in sustaining family owned farms and ranches by rewarding the efforts of producers that embrace the exacting standards required to raise the finest livestock. The premium quality of SNAKE RIVER FARMS is a result of the dedication, hard work and coordinated efforts of the finest producers in the nation."

i'm pretty sure japan doesn't allow kobe to be shipped to america.

Can you cook 2 briskets? I personally don't think they cook much different. Do one of each.

That's a good idea, I certainly will be doing 2. I hadn't thought about 1 of each, though, had just been working off the assumption of doing 2 of the same.

i'm pretty sure japan doesn't allow kobe to be shipped to america.

The USDA relaxed the rules in 2012 regarding the importation of kobe beef to america and whole cuts of boneless beef can be imported to the USA. This is not to say that purebreed kobe cows are imported and slaughtered in the US, which might happen. American waygu is imported kobe cows usually mixed with angus.

Kobe is a brand of beef, not a cattle breed. Cattle in Japan, that are allowed for Kobe beef are of the breed Wa-gyu. Wa refers to anything that is Japanese. I simply means self, or the people. Gyu is the Japanese word for cattle. Hence Wa-Gyu is Japanese cattle. Kobe is a location, similar to saying Nebraska Beef, it doesn't speak to breed, it speaks to location and technique in breeding and raising cattle.

There are other, or more so, many breeds of Wa-gyu cattle in Japan, and another from Okinawa, if you want to separate it from Japan. Each has it's own character, although the genetics are all quite similar. There is Kobe and other Japanese beef available now in the U.S., it is all quite expensive. American Kobe, is a lot like American Champagne, it is the USA not respecting the rights of foreign nations to hold on to their legal names. Most of the American Wagyu breed is crossed with American breeds, particularly Black Angus breed. SRF and many others are like this. My understanding is that there is at least one pure Wagyu breed in the U.S.

The USDA relaxed the rules in 2012 regarding the importation of kobe beef to america and whole cuts of boneless beef can be imported to the USA. This is not to say that purebreed kobe cows are imported and slaughtered in the US, which might happen. American waygu is imported kobe cows usually mixed with angus.

it doesn't happen though.

Back