UDS - Paint - How much of it?

mdemetri2

Reaction score
Hello from the UK!

I have been on here quite a bit taking in all the info that I can about building and using a UDS.

I have my drum, unfortunatley it came with the dreaded liner, burnt it out, no joy so I have taken it to be sandblasted.

I need to paint it quite quickly after its sandblasted, otherwise I expect it will start to rust. Given that everything seems to cost twice as much here in the UK, and I'm on a budget.....

Can someone tell me how many cans of spray is usually required? I'm looking at 400ml (14oz) can.

Also any opinion on whether I should use a high temp primer?

I used a couple cans of hi temp engine paint on mine..although it really depends on how nice you want it to look. I could see using 3 cans on it for several coats if you want it to look good and take the "Ugly" out of the UDS. If you are cooking only low (under 250), you might be fine, but I just spent the extra and got hi temp so I dont have to sand and paint again.

Hope that helps..

When I painted mine, it took 2 cans of the high temp engine paint from the auto parts store. No primer and i put on 2 coats.

The first time I painted mine, I used high temp rustoleum spray, 3 cans. I bought brush on the last time and used a half to 3/4 of a quart. Sprays are less efficient, but easier to get a good finish.

STOP!
Ask the sandblast place if they do powdercoating.

If your going to use rustoleum (£7 a can in B&Q), by the time you prime it, spray it, give it a 2nd coat, etc.
It will be just as cheap to powder coat (especially by the time you factor in your time).

Not sure how much your paying for Sandblasting, but I paid £80 for Sandblasting inside & out & Powder Coating the outside. I did not go for the special high heat powder coat either - as the guy said it would not be needed if Im using it under 200c

STOP!
Ask the sandblast place if they do powdercoating.

If your going to use rustoleum (£7 a can in B&Q), by the time you prime it, spray it, give it a 2nd coat, etc.
It will be just as cheap to powder coat (especially by the time you factor in your time).

Not sure how much your paying for Sandblasting, but I paid £80 for Sandblasting inside & out & Powder Coating the outside. I did not go for the special high heat powder coat either - as the guy said it would not be needed if Im using it under 200c

Just as cheap? I don't even have that much into the entire building of my drum, and it's painted and looks pretty good.

In the states we have BBQ paint (~$3/can). I bought 3 cans of the mat black. Only used 2 but I may lay on more since I have it. I like the mat version. Comes out a bit more gray looking. It *hides* dents and other imperfections on the drum as well as the lack of reflection seems to make them less noticeable.

I also used 2 spray cans of BBQ paint. I also keep an extra can for those occasional touch ups here and there to keep the drum looking not so ugly.

Just as cheap? I don't even have that much into the entire building of my drum, and it's painted and looks pretty good.

Welcome to Rip Off Britain :shock:

We pay about $7 per lb for brisket
Rustoleum BBQ paint - you pay $12 - we pay $25!

Hi all, thanks for the prompt replies and so many!!

Ok, seems the consensus is two cans and no need for primer - which I noticed most very high temp paints say isn't required anyway.

Regards powder coating, i asked a few places some weeks ago and they didn't seem interested or didn't get back to me- have no clue what it would cost for that.

Sandblasting is £30. Two cans of hycote black up to 600c is only £12 delivered so they are ordered.

Thanks for the advice.....I will post photos of how I'm getting on.

Some photos of the drum with dreaded liner, burning out, then trying to sand it down....didn't come out too well, hence why I am having it sand blasted. In hindsight I should have sourced a new unused drum.

I need to finish my basket by adding an ash pan and handle. The other bits are the stainless steel vents I had made and some of the internal fixings for cooking grates, RTV Silicone and thermometer.

I ordered some handles and top adjustable round vent for the lid. I just need to order my final stainless fixings, bolts, washers and nuts etc.

The quicker I can get this done the better....dying to get some ribs in there as well as some pulled pork!

Thanks for the advice....also happy for any comments - good or bad. :)

Attachments

• photo a.jpg
    photo a.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 219
  • photo b.jpg
    photo b.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 222
  • photo c.jpg
    photo c.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 217
  • photo d.jpg
    photo d.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 222
  • image e.jpg
    image e.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 220
  • image f.jpg
    image f.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 220
  • image g.jpeg
    image g.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 224
Just saw the post and it's looking good. Nice job on the charcoal bin and vents. When I have difficulty with the liner, after the initial burn I burn a second time with a smaller load of wood and prop the drum at a 45 degree angle and turn it every so often so that the upper side glows. I like to face the drum opening into the wind when I do this so that it gets all the oxygen that it can use. I just use heavy welder type gloves and be careful turning it and keep a fire extinguisher or garden hose handy.

looks like you got everything needed.
For fixings - I found toolstation quite cheap.

What did you use for your basket? I need to make another basket, bet cant find anything suitable local.

Spinningwheel - did consider burning out a second time but I wasn't sure it would do the trick. Ah well, I know for next time.

Eggtastico - well I'm looking at nutandboltshop.com but will take a look at toolstation.

My basket base is the cooking grate off an old bbq, then I rang around a few local steel fabrication places who had off cuts and bought a 8ft by 1ft length of 1x1 inch steel mesh, I cut it in half and rolled it. Bolted together with marine cable grips (ebay). I'm just going to add a threaded bolt through the top for and handle.

Last edited:
I went for the under a bridge tramp look for mine.

IMG_2364 by The Real Jlen, on Flickr

I ordered the rust from Hackney, London which was periodically delivered between october and april 2012-2014.

I think the remnants of the original green paint really sets it off.

I must admit though, the temp dial is rusted together for show.

I'm not sure where the tramp came from, but he's been hanging about for a while now....

Must smell pork.

Nice idea re marine cable grips. Im in Ireland and have similar problems sourcing the materials which the yanks talk about.
Picked up some "expanded metal" in a builders suppliers vut it's more like strong chicken wire, far too flexible for a long term charcoal basket.

Regarding the marine clips, would these work http://m.ebay.ie/itm/251524111994?nav=SEARCH
Hard to know without a side profile shot.

My basket base is the cooking grate off an old bbq, then I rang around a few local steel fabrication places who had off cuts and bought a 8ft by 1ft length of 1x1 inch steel mesh, I cut it in half and rolled it. Bolted together with marine cable grips (ebay). I'm just going to add a threaded bolt through the top for and handle.

Thanks - I was looking at Steel Cable & Marine grips & make some sort of netting. I thought if I got some thick Threaded Bars, I could drill holes through them to make it rigid. I refuse to pay the silly prices for expanded metal we have.

I may try a fabricators & see if they have any offcuts.

Nice idea re marine cable grips. Im in Ireland and have similar problems sourcing the materials which the yanks talk about.
Picked up some "expanded metal" in a builders suppliers vut it's more like strong chicken wire, far too flexible for a long term charcoal basket.

Regarding the marine clips, would these work http://m.ebay.ie/itm/251524111994?nav=SEARCH
Hard to know without a side profile shot.

Hi, I bought those to try and they didn't fit the size of the wire mesh, I expect if you can source ones big enough they might be good. Try these: [ame]http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400598271563?nav=SEARCH[/ame]

Thanks - I was looking at Steel Cable & Marine grips & make some sort of netting. I thought if I got some thick Threaded Bars, I could drill holes through them to make it rigid. I refuse to pay the silly prices for expanded metal we have.

I may try a fabricators & see if they have any offcuts.

Tell me about it. Far too expensive for expanded steel mesh, full sheets was ridiculous, best price I could get for an off cut was £40, plus a 30 mile round trip.

Back