Auto stoker

pom

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
As large cuts of meat such as briskets are expensive I have decided to invest in a stoker to increase my chances of not buggering it up. In particular I have ordered a rocks stoker for my wsm. Does anyone use one - would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Pom

You will like it. Just be sure to keep it dry, and download the Stokerlog program mentioned on the home page of Rock's site. Stokerlog, regretably, isn't as reliable as the Stoker itself, but it's a handy tool. Use the latest production firmware (www.kaytat.com) but stay away from the beta versions as many people report those be slower. The Automated Temperature Control forum on www.tvwbb.com will have details about which version of Stokerlog and Stoker firmware to run.

Unrelated to the stoker: if you are doing a long cook on a wsm, you will most likely have to clean out the ash and refuel before the brisket is done. If you start to lose temp toward the end, check that first.

I've got a Guru on one of my WSMs & I love it! Talk about "set it & forget it".

Have you tried smoking a brisket without it? Just curious I kinda like the process of checking the fire (not very often with an Egg however).

Back