WSM temps

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
Question for all the WSM owners out there...

I was cooking some pork belly burnt ends for Superbowl on a 22" WSM and while I usually have one temp probe approx. 1" above the top grate, i decided to use 2 temp probes 1" above the top grate on opposite sides rather than 1 in the center. I noticed some temp differences upwards of 50-60 degrees from one probe to the other. I know that my smoker wasn't dead level, but didn't think it would make much difference. I used the minion method and started with a small bunch of coals in the center. Maybe my charcoal didn't burn evenly outwards from the center in all directions. Has anyone else noticed such temp swings from one side of the smoker to the other? All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My WSM runs hotter on the edges than the center because the water pan acts as a diffuser and alters the air flow.

It's not that big of a deal, and can actually work in our favor once we know that there are actually several different temps going on between the top/bottom racks and the sides/center.

I don't know ... I've never had air probes in mine. As a matter of fact ... my dome thermometer has been broken for years & I never know the pit temp to begin with. I suppose it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other ...

Exactly what Gnarlbecue said. My WSM 22 runs considerably hotter on the outer 2-3 inches. Had me scratching my head wondering why my two probes were showing such a difference till I figured it out.

If I fill both racks I rotate my butts every hour or so to promote even browning and heat.

In my experience there can be about a 50° discrepancy between the middle of the rack and the sides when the diffuser is in place and the smoker is full.

Back