THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

Creature

This will be perfect size to see if this is a hobby or a fad for me. Here is what she looked like when I got her almost two weeks ago:
IMG_8280.JPG

Needs a little work, outside ... and in ...
IMG_8283.JPG

Take her apart ...
IMG_8291.JPG

Paint the pieces ...
IMG_8294.JPG

Put her back together, foil up some flat ceramic bbq brick and line the bottom ...
IMG_8298.JPG

Install the baffel (might trim that down later) ...
IMG_8302.JPG

Ready for my first cook!
IMG_8297.JPG

I hope it is a hobby, seems like alot of work for a fad. You could have cooked on it in the "before" condition.
Im thinking you are hooked on "Q"ing already. :wink:

Wow dude you put a lot of work into that thing! That's what I started on, I hope you like tending to a fire. Nice work though! Good luck with your first cook.

Nice mods and good work. Interesting baffle in that it goes in so far. I am working on mine now but didn't take the time to take it apart. Hungry and can do it later if necessary.

The bricks, their purpose? Heat sink? Or to distribute the heat more evenly?
Advice would be appreciated.

I hope it is a hobby, seems like alot of work for a fad. You could have cooked on it in the "before" condition.
Im thinking you are hooked on "Q"ing already. :wink:

Yeah, I've been hooked on commercial Q for a long time. Attended a comp as a spectator/sampler. I'm sure it's a hobby for me, but I've got to get the kids to eat it or there isn't much point. 2 out of 3 of them are into it so far (1st cook yesterday, I hope to post the pron later tonight).

Nice mods and good work. Interesting baffle in that it goes in so far. I am working on mine now but didn't take the time to take it apart. Hungry and can do it later if necessary.

The bricks, their purpose? Heat sink? Or to distribute the heat more evenly?
Advice would be appreciated.

The baffle is a little long, and I think I'll trim it down because I think the smoke path will work better if I take 4-6in off of it. I thought it'd be better to make it long and trim it. It worked great because I can tell the smoke is travelling up the bottom of the baffle (the smoke marks on the foiled bricks told that story).

The bricks are a little bit of a heat sink to help with spikes (although I only opened it once during the smoke and I permitted myself that because it was a little over 250 at the top of the chamber). I saw mods that used full size bricks but they had the larger version of smoker, and I had these leftover from my gasser.

Good luck on yours.

Good job Creature.
Let us know how the extra-long baffle works re temp control; might be a good combo with the fire bricks.

I think the baffle might have made a hot zone in the far end (seems to have flowed right along the baffle and out). Which might have contributed to the thin end of the baby backs being a little dry (still good though). I'm waiting on two temp guages from ebay (and an ET7) to get a better handle on the hot spots.

The one time I opened it up, I lost about 25deg and got it back within 5min. I imagine that isn't too bad a recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back