Rancher charcoal sighting on Long Island

Bob S

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife saw Rancher charcoal in stock at Trader Joes in Lake Grove, NY yesterday. She said the price was $6.99 for an 18 pound bag. I haven't had a chance to get over there and check for myself, but she said she checked the bags carefully and they said Rancher briquettes. If anyone else can verify this, it would be helpful. :biggrin:

My wife bouhgt me 5 bags in Castor valley at there TJ two weeks ago.

Commack has 'em! I got 10 of the 18# bags for $6.99 each.

Photo_042709_002.jpg

I'll swing by Lake Grove this evening on the way home from work;
thanks for the heads up.

(Anybody remember what we paid last go 'round???)

The St. Louis Trader Joe's has them also!

I recall now that the orig deal was 2.99 bag, some of us got some then and next up we all bought beaucoups bags at 4.99,
all a couple years back I think.

Now at 6.99 it computes out to about the same as when you can score the double bags of Kingsford, 2-21.6lbs bags for $15.97 at HD.
Maybe a penny difference per pound.
So figure it to be a choice of preference at these levels.......

I got lots and lots of lumps:biggrin:
View attachment 26632

Show-off!!:mrgreen:

I cooked with it the other night in the kettle. My observations:

Tends to crumble/crack. With no binders like K and others, it has nothing to keep it together. TLC is needed in handling the bags and the coals.

Smells less chemical-ly than K. Takes longer to white-over in a chimney.

Cooks good. Even burn.

Didn't do a smoke so I can't comment on longevity but it cooled quickly when I choked off the kettle and left decent bricks for the next cook.

I will report on a smoke this weekend.

Follow-up report. Used it in the WSMs this weekend. Ran really hot with minion and full brinkman deep waterpans. Couldn't get the temps down no matter what. Weather was mild.

I think I'll stick with K for smoking and Rancher for grilling.

Picked up a couple bags to try out, though I still have a huge stockpile of all natural brick charcoal.

bag53s.jpg

Picked up a couple bags to try out, though I still have a huge stockpile of all natural brick charcoal.

bag53s.jpg

I have a case of that stuff left too... I actually used some in the Spicebox to give the grates one last cleaning before selling it our favorite horse jockey Sacco.

I have a case of that stuff left too... I actually used some in the Spicebox to give the grates one last cleaning before selling it our favorite horse jockey Sacco.

I tried making pina coladas out of em but they sucked. Just because they're made of coconut doesn't mean they taste like coconut.

Now if I could only find a use for the pallet of limited edition matchlight quick light mesquite briquettes I have in the basement.

Back