Is Costco no longer carrying lump charcoal???

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey all,

I was in my Costco here in New Orleans last week...and of course with holidays, they had moved everything. I had a hard time finding my charcoal...as that I always buy a bag of the Cowboy Natural Lump charcoal when in the store.

I finally found where they moved the charcoal...BUT...all they had was Kingsford briquettes?!?!
:O

When I checked out I talked to what seemed to be a managerial type asking about the lump charcoal, and she said she knew what I was talking about and was a fan of it herself...and went to the office to check.

She came out, and said sure enough they were out...and that that item was marked "Inactive" on their computers.

I'm really hoping this doesn't mean they are no longer carrying it. I dunno where else in this area to get decent quality and quantity of natural lump charcoal.

At the Sam's club here, they only had small bags, and when I tried one once not long back, it was more dust than lump..and it sparked constantly which seems to indicate low quality.

I went online and did an email to them asking about this....

But anyway...wondering if anyone else had noticed the good Lump stuff disappearing from their local Costco. And if so...perhaps if everyone speaks up that they miss it....since they are a national company, they will make a national effort to get it back for their customers.

Anyway...I'm really bummed out about this. I don't know where to get good lump fuel for my new BGE after this. The only exception is the local hardware store where I bought my BGE, but they aren't exactly reasonable in pricing......for the BGE brand lump.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Try royal oak. Walmart carries it and so does Home Depot. I never liked cowboy but here that is different depending on where you live. Up here it is garbage.

Give Royal Oak a try.

Costco does this with lots of things. My local store still has Cowboy lump. They were out of yellow mustard so I asked a manager about it. I mean plain old yellow mustard. The manager said that like many things in the store it comes and goes.

Well I guess some stores have it and some don't, I know the Costco business center in Hawthorne CA. carry's the el diablo brand of lump and they have it by the pallets, a 40lbs. bag is around 11.00 and change good stuff to :thumb: :becky:

Well I guess some stores have it and some don't, I know the Costco business center in Hawthorne CA. carry's the el diablo brand of lump and they have it by the pallets, a 40lbs. bag is around 11.00 and change good stuff to :thumb: :becky:

Yep Thats what we have here in Phoenix El Diablo and sometime Kingsford comp.

I used to use Cowboy Lump and liked it however I have noticed the rating on "Naked Whiz" (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm) has come down over the years. Not sure that's because of change in their product or better competitors. As indicated above, Costco here in AZ has never been in the charcoal game. I'm now buying Royal from RD...

Darn...

Try royal oak. Walmart carries it and so does Home Depot. I never liked cowboy but here that is different depending on where you live. Up here it is garbage.

Give Royal Oak a try.

Interesting. I'd assumed the Costco on things that are basic like charcoal, they'd have done the same thing nationally.

Royal Oak makes a lump charcoal? I'll have to look for that.

I only go into a Walmart once in a blue moon, I hate the place...and it is on the other end of town from me, but I may make a trek out to see if they have it.

I have a Lowe's near me and will look there, if not there...our Home Depot is way out near the Walmart....but will give it a look when I run out there.

Funny....before I got the BGE, I always just bought charcoal briquettes....the lump stuff burned too hot and fast for my liking i my weber kettle. But I'd see lump all over the place.

Now, that I need to and want to use it...my main source of plentiful and reasonable priced stuff has dried up.

*sigh*

I do think, however.....if a number of folks request it, Costco might start carrying it again.

So, if ya'll get a chance, why not email Costco and let them know your area...and request it.
:)

Thanks all!!

cayenne

I've requested numerous times for the Costco in our area to carry full prime packer briskets....

No dice.:mad:

Sam's started carrying Frontier 20lb bag for $10 which was a great deal because RO at restaurant depot is the 17lb for $10-11 depending on the week. But then sam's stopped and went back to RO, but now restaurant depot also carries Carbon del Sur lump and it is cheaper by a buck or two (depending on the week). It is really consistent in size that I have found.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI74zqkJ2LyQIVyKYeCh0MOQhc

I spoke to a manager about disappearing inventory on the floor. He told me "if it isn't moving it's out of here". I have learned that if you see something you like, you better purchase it.

Sam's started carrying Frontier 20lb bag for $10 which was a great deal because RO at restaurant depot is the 17lb for $10-11 depending on the week. But then sam's stopped and went back to RO, but now restaurant depot also carries Carbon del Sur lump and it is cheaper by a buck or two (depending on the week). It is really consistent in size that I have found.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI74zqkJ2LyQIVyKYeCh0MOQhc

Carbon Del Sur is my go to lump!! If you have not tried it, do yourself a favor and do so!! I have not bought RO since trying it

Last edited:
El Diablo at Business Costco only out here otherwise its KComp. RD does have the Del Sur for around 11-12$ 40lbs.

I used to work at costco years ago. It works like this: Costco negotiates with various companies to purchase a large quantity of 'X' product at a price point that will allow them to sell it to customers at a discount. When the product is gone, it is gone. They might negotiate a new purchase of the product to replenish stock at the stores or they might not. There are a lot of factors in play there.

Back