Let's talk slaw

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Coleslaw.

I consider it on the Mt. Rushmore of cookout sides. Its cheap, goes great with pork, and you can tell ma you ate some salad :wink:

I love it on top a pulled pork slider.

So let's talk slaw.

Recipes are great but id like to delve deep. Things like how rustic/fine chopped or creamy vs acidic. Spices?... ....why is my slaw aways watery (becky usually makes the sides)

So go ahead tell us what you love or hate about SLAW.

:becky:'S slaw

Mine on a sammie. It turned pink. :icon_blush:

Lets see pics too :thumb:

I like slaw as a side or a topper. mayo type are good but most of the time i like a citrus fruity spicy acid type slaw

As long as it's not the sweet stuff I'm good, plus I like the courser cut on the cabbage.

Best BBQ recipe I've found for slaw:

Ingredients
· 2 (10-ounce) packages finely shredded cabbage (or shred your own)
· 1 carrot, shredded
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon pepper
· 1/2 cup mayonnaise
· 1/4 cup milk
· 1/4 cup buttermilk
· 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar

Preparation
· Combine cabbage and carrot in a large bowl. Whisk together sugar and next 7 ingredients until blended; toss with vegetables. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.

If you don't want watery slaw you should try dry brining your shredded cabbage for 5 or 6 minutes, then rinse it well and dry it, then make your slaw.....to dry brine I sprinkle 1/3 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup kosher salt on the cabbage, mix it around, 5 minutes later a lot of the water is pulled out, rinse and dry....good to go

Creamy! Man I don't know I had some "acidic" slaw this last weekend and it was like eating cabbage soaked in vinegar, lime juice and nothing else.. It that what y'all like? It's been a long long time since I didn't finish the slaw. Yuck!

You either know how to make a slaw or you don't. I've had good slaw & horrible slaw, both vinegar & creamy. Possibly the most horrendous slaw I've ever had was a creamy slaw at a local "BBQ Joint". :puke:

I love slaw as a side too, the best recipe I ever tried was landarcs apple wasabi slaw,everybody loves it.

We rarely eat any BBQ at my house without slaw. Pork, beef, chicken all get served with slaw.

My recipe is simple. I don't measure so I can't say exactly how much of each ingredient. I make the dressing and taste and adjust to what I want it to taste like.

1 bag of pre shredded slaw with or without carrots
2/3 cup of Dukes mayo, sub Hellmann's if you must
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
1 heaping teaspoon of dried parsley (sometimes omit)
5 or 6 goods shakes of hot sauce, Franks or Texas Pete usually

Mix the dressing thoroughly then pour it over the slaw and mix that thoroughly. Chill until ready to serve.

• Thanks
Reactions: ejk
I LOVE creamy slaw. Never actually had a vinegar slaw. Local grocery store carries minced slaw which is pretty good compared to the normal shredded.

Recipe please?

Landarc's Apple Wasabi Slaw

4 pounds cabbage, finely shredded
2 pounds apple, finely julienned
1 pound carrots, finely shredded

1. Massage cabbage with 1/4 cup fine salt, let sit for 20 minutes, rinse thoroughly
2. Combine vegetables and fruit, toss with dressing, which you already made.
3. adjust for salt and pepper

Dressing:
5 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 teaspoons wasabi
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons sake
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup mayonnaise

Combine and test for strength. I had to add a little more wasabi.

==========================================================================

One of my favorites is:

Guerry's Slaw

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce to taste

Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

Awesome! I have been wanting to make my own, used to not like it growing up but it pairs well with the BBQ :grin:

Thanks for all the recipes listed :becky:

Substitute "Spin Blend" to any recipe that calls for mayo, that includes mac or potato salad. You'll never use anything again!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

One of my favorites is:

Guerry's Slaw

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce to taste

Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

I like vinegar based slaw, think I'll give this one a go.

I like slaw, all of it.
I have never had great slaw at a BBQ joint, most are simply too plain, reminds of KFC style. But I'll eat it.
My favorite that I make is one that is cabbage, white vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt.
Otherwise I use a morphed recipe from one I found years ago called "West Coast Marine Cabbage Salad". I added horseradish to give it some kick.

Back