Wind blocking ideas for stick burner?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey folks -

So I have a stick burner on order from none other than Shirley Fabrication - can't wait!

But we recently moved to another house and I've noticed that there's a steadier/stronger wind current around this house as it's situated somewhat on a hill with open fields around. I'm able to adjust by moving the UDS around and blocking the intakes a bit with some stuff laying around the garage but just wondering if anyone has some tricks of the trade for blocking wind around the firebox of a stick burner.

At least I'll get quickly indoctrinated into fire control in windy environments!

(Assuming you're halfway handy) get some sheets of plywood and some strap hinges and make yourself a free standing wind screen. You can adjust it any way you need and fold it up when you're done.

Cinder blocks are cheap and easy enough to stack and move around.
Paul said I'm I'll be on deck soon for my SF :-D

Take note of the direction of you prevailing wind & position your pit so the air is moving over the pit on the long side and not the ends works for me.

I agree with bludawg, no need to be scared of the wind, just don't have it stoking the fire. Worry when its freezing cold wind or cold and rainy.

is your main concern too much airflow causing temps to be too hot ?

If so, just remember you can regulate intake by closing vent as needed

otherwise all advice above are viable options to block

In my last comp I was having issues with the wind. Forgot to load the nice wind shield that GT-Q made for my pit but then I noticed that the weber charcoal chimneys fit over my intakes perfectly. I pointed them so that the bottoms were over the intakes. This allowed the air intakes on the webers to act as wind breaks while allowing the pit to breath just fine.
weber%20vents.jpg

Shew, I battled the wind last weekend cooking some ribs...Miserable...Moved the pit and the wind would follow....

I noticed that the weber charcoal chimneys fit over my intakes perfectly. I pointed them so that the bottoms were over the intakes. This allowed the air intakes on the webers to act as wind breaks while allowing the pit to breath just fine.

It actually worked surprisingly well!

Great ideas and love the shack. Will post a pic later but seriously, I moved my UDS all over the place this past weekend and still seemed to have strong winds blowing. Love the two chimney idea on the intakes!

Back