Virginia Brunswick Stew Proclamation Stew Crew Cook

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Today, I had the privilege of hanging out with the national Brunswick stew championship cook team "The Proclamation Stew Crew" as they cooked up their award winning Virginia Brunswick stew for a large and eager crowd. What a great time! Here are some pics.

Stirring the Stew as it transforms into a delicious treat!
Stirring-the-stew_zps05dfbd80.jpg

You know it's done when the paddle stands up straight.
B-Stew-Done_zps6df92bee.jpg

Here is a close up!
B-Stew-Close-up_zpsa3d60110.jpg

Serving it up!
B-Stew-Serving-it-up_zpsde0c6236.jpg

Smoke Signals Magazine ( a production of the Brethren) has a very authentic Virginia Brunswick stew recipe here if you want to give it a try.

http://issue13.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

Thanks for the heads up on the Smoke Signal's recipe. I've been making a version I'd found online for a couple of years that I've been happy with.

Earlier this year I was driving from Virginia to Minnesota. I pulled into a Virginia rest stop where they were giving out samples of Brunswick stew that put my recipe to shame. Unfortunately they were selling it 30 miles back where I had driven from.

I'll give the SS's recipe a try next time, looks like the real thing!

I wonder if anybody remembers Jack Lotz and the epic huge cauldrons of Brunswick Stew he made for the Shriners here in Richmond, VA. I helped him shop for the ingredients and watched them in the cauldron back when I was 15. I wish I had paid enough attention to know his recipe.

What a great man!

Love it! We just did our stew this past Saturday at church. We did 7 pots that averaged 20 gallons each. 7 pots over open fires. Good fun right there. I'll see if I can find pics to post.

Love it! We just did our stew this past Saturday at church. We did 7 pots that averaged 20 gallons each. 7 pots over open fires. Good fun right there. I'll see if I can find pics to post.

Sounds awesome! I' tooling up to do some charity/fund raising cooks myself. Can't decide on two 25 gallon pots or one 40 gallon. We'll see.

Back