Weekend Brunswick Stew

Woody Butthrie

Full Fledged Farker
We fired up the newly seasoned 20 gallon kettle this past weekend for some Brunswick Stew. Pulled out Uncle Pete's recipe and started a fire.

Had 25 lbs of beef shoulder, 20 lbs chicken thighs, and 20 lbs chicken breast

IMG_20181130_204841_zpsstdpys7e.jpg

IMG_20181130_204846_zpsp2fw8ibg.jpg

After the meat was tender, it was scooped out with a large mesh strainer and put it a cooler until the morning.

Meat was separated from the bones while the veggies started to cook in the broth. I was really happy to find peeled, diced potatoes at Restaurant Depot.
IMG_20181201_120700_zpsdfigudxu.jpg

5 hours later we were finished except for adding corn and baby lima beans.

IMG_20181201_120717_zpsasuva1zq.jpg

IMG_20181201_124532_zpsdxkhpkuk.jpg

Everybody started arriving to eat about this time, and a party broke out at the stew.

Dutch oven chocolate cherry cake was for dessert.

IMG_20181201_173255_zpsratttzmo.jpg

Ended up with about 60 quarts of stew. Thanks for looking.

I was looking for something to do on this miserable, rainy day ... looks like making a batch of Brunswick stew is going to be this afternoon's activity.

I'll be using the recipe from the Colonial Williamsburg cookbook. Been making that recipe for 45 years and it's always excellent.

I could make it in the crock pot but that doesn't put any smoke into the equation. Looks like it's going to be me, an umbrella, and the egg. Thanks for the idea!

Looks delicious!! I bet the aroma in the air was amazing....
Thanks for posting! :grin:

It was delicious. The best thing was using the fire with hickory. I had always made this with the kettle on a stand with a propane burner. The smoke from the fire seemed to add a little smoke to the stew and smelled wonderful. Thanks.

Thats one big Stew, great work.
I have never seen Peeled and diced Potatoe before.What will they think of next.

You gonna post Uncle Pete's recipe? :)

This has been tweaked a little. Pete would only use a couple of tbsp Texas Pete for the whole batch. I increased. He didn't use any worchestershire sauce either. And I added some thyme for a little savory.

Brunswick Stew

20 lbs. Chicken Thighs
20 lbs. Chicken Breast
26 lbs. Beef
½ gallon Green Beans
½ gallon Carrots
½ gallon Celery
2 small heads cabbage
2 gallons potatoes
1 gallon onions
3 #10 cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 gallon frozen corn
1/2 gallon frozen baby lima beans
1 lb butter
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup salt
1 cup Texas Pete
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup paprika
¼ cup garlic powder
¼ cup Thyme
¼ cup peppercorns
¼ cup liquid smoke
One gallon can be measured by heaping the #10 cans. I found if you grate the carrots and celery they disappear into the stew easier. Shred the cabbage. Cook the meat in water. Save the broth to start the veggies after you take meat out. Cook veggies for an hour or so. Add meat back with other ingredients, except corn, lima beans, and butter. Add all three remaining ingredients for the last hour.

And have plenty of beer.

Back