smoked sausage

Good question. I'd like to know the same thing. I've tried some plain old store brand italian sausage (sweet and hot) and it just isnt the same as what I have had at the local BBQ joint.

I haven't found a good brand typically available in the average grocery store that is all that great IMHO. I like some old world polska kielbasa and knockwurst available at my butcher, but these aren't similar to the smoked sausage you are talking about. Another place around here has precooked kielbasa that is along the lines of what you are talking about, and I realy like it, but it wouldn't be available to you out there. Wish I could help, but none of the store bought stuff (Eckridge, Farmland, Store Butcher Counter) have been high quality from my experiences.

I haven't found a good brand typically available in the average grocery store that is all that great IMHO. I like some old world polska kielbasa and knockwurst available at my butcher, but these aren't similar to the smoked sausage you are talking about. Another place around here has precooked kielbasa that is along the lines of what you are talking about, and I realy like it, but it wouldn't be available to you out there. Wish I could help, but none of the store bought stuff (Eckridge, Farmland, Store Butcher Counter) have been high quality from my experiences.

Yes...they are all very bland.:tsk:
Your best bet is to find a local privately owned meat market & Deli.
You may have to try a few different places to find one you really like.

If that doesn't work...try and find a meat market in ...perhaps...Chicago;
and buy some over the Internet.:boxing:

In my experience most smoked sausage in the store is not the great....( Hillshire Farms , Eckridge etc.) I 'am in Louisiana... we have some decent choices ( Richard's ,Savoies and others) Order some from Opas's in Texas...You will be satisfied

I posted this link on a nother thread.
http://www.stanleysmarket.com/index.php They have excelant old world fresh kielbassa. Here's a few pics of them from my smoke this past weekend.

Attachments

• 100_2056.jpg
    100_2056.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_2057.jpg
    100_2057.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_2059.jpg
    100_2059.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 294
Yeah, I'd like to smoke some smoked sausage with my next brisket, but what tastes like the stuff they stuff out in Texas? (How's that queastion for redundancy?)

I make my own, but when in a hurry, I like Leidy's sausage with apple. I use apple chips and it turns out good.

Try places like Elgin Sausage, Luling City market, Smitty's and Kreuz' Market. They alll ahve an onoline presence and sell over the web. Elgin is probably the consistent best of the lot. Places like New Braunfels Smokehouse and Opas are a distant second.

I'm a big fan of Slovicek's sausage. Here is a link. http://www.slovacek.com/
They are and old time Czech sausage and remind me of the sausage that I used to get when I was young growing up in Bohiemie town in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Probably never be able to get the Pohlenia Sausage anymore as they got flooded out in the big flood and not going to open again. :cry:

I made some smoked sausage out of deer and elk last year. I used a store bought braut seasioning I picked up at Cabelas because the kids and wife are yankees and dont like real spice. Was fun and easy to make. I used the meat grinder/sausage stoffer to the Kitchen Aid stand mixer, then cold smoke for 3-4 hours. The 25# I made lasted less than a month. I want to do some more this fall (after hunting seasion) and smoke it longer to dry it out. I had some really great dried smoked sausage that a processor around Austin made. That with come cheese and crackers....yum yum.

+1 for Slovacek. That stuff is fantastic. Its made in a little town called Snook just South of College Station, Texas and Texas A&M (WHOOP) and really is my favorite store brand. I think the jalapeno is particularly good.

+1 for Slovacek. That stuff is fantastic. Its made in a little town called Snook just South of College Station, Texas and Texas A&M (WHOOP) and really is my favorite store brand. I think the jalapeno is particularly good.

Yupper. Jap is king. :cool:

I've always liked unsmoked Kielbasa or for something spicey Andouilee sausage really smokes up well and is delicious.

Back