First Cook - Pork Shoulder

E

eyenology

Picked up the stuff I needed yesterday to get do my first cook in the UDS (and first smoke ever). Thanks for all the help in the "cuts of meat" thread.

Here's a few pics of the start. I'm trying to KISS so rub is just Famous Dave's and Season Salt.

Attachments

• 4150767636_99a5c01f48.jpg
    4150767636_99a5c01f48.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 4150019355_fffebd4ce7.jpg
    4150019355_fffebd4ce7.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! My bro-in-law has started building a bunch of these and as his family had ours on the Christmas exchange this year, he said he'd give me the parts to build if I help on the build. Twist my arm. He had a couple of bottoms from Weber grills he'd salvaged and we welded it to the lid of the rim of a lid for a tight fit. So far temp is holding like a champ.

Nice! I like the use of a Weber bottom for the UDS lid!

Lookin good so far.
But, i don't believe you live in Rock Springs. That smoke is going straight up.:-D

Paul

Cool, try to maintain 225Âş in Smoker. Now take the Butt to 165Âş, place in aluminum foil, spray well with Apple Juice and wrap it up. Continue cooking until 195Âş-200Âş remove from Smoker and let rest for at least 30 minutes. Pull and enjoy!

I'm cooking right now, will post pics as soon as I'm done. I'm having trouble keeping temp low. I've got valves closed up most of the way but temp sits around 300*. Any tips?

It will take some practice. Try not to overshoot your desired temp during the initial start. Make small changes to the intake and exhaust airflow and give it time to correct. Once you over shoot it takes awhile to come back down. I ran several dry runs prior to actually cooking on mine to get the hang of it. Do not leave it all closed up too long or you may extinguish the coals.

Lookin good so far.
But, i don't believe you live in Rock Springs. That smoke is going straight up.:-D

That's because my house makes a great wind block. I was on the roof in the front of the house hanging Christmas lights. Believe me, it's windy!!!

Tell me about the paint on your drum. Looks great.

Nothing too special, it was in good condition to start with and I just painted over the glossy black finish with rust converter in a couple of spots and finished the whole thing with high-temp bbq paint.

The temp seems to be backing off some now, and everything is looking awesome. Fatty's are almost done. Thanks for all of your help!

Back