First Cook - Pork Shoulder

4150599627_585ecd6af9.jpg

Sneak Peak

I love the lid idea!! Could you post a pic showing how the lid sits on the top of the drum. Looks like it's pretty well airtight all around. I'd like to see that in close up. Looks great byt he way!

Looks good so far. Just a friendly, Brethrenly suggestion. If you want a better Seasoning salt, get a hold of Big Brother Smoke's Simply Marvelous Season All. Sooo much better than the store bought stuff Can't wait to see the finished product

Thats awesome using the bottom never seen that done. i still have a bottom so thanks for the idea

Will post some detail pics of the UDS as soon as possible... Its in use now:)

sorry for the delay on the pics. Didn't get done until after midnight last night. Outdoor temps dropped really fast and I think messed up temps inside the smoker and extended the cook time. (I think...)

After a long day at work (retail in December...), I'm finally uploading pics.

All in all I'm really pleased. Very tasty! UDS worked great, this took around 14.5 hours and I never had to add charcoal. I am starting to get a feel for adjusting intakes for fire control, and think I'll be a little more efficient next time.

A few have asked about pics of the lid on my UDS. Unfortunately I won't be able to post any pics for a few days (did I mention I'm in retail in December?), but will post a new thread asap.

Thanks so much for all the help. I think I'm hooked.

Attachments

• 4154085041_fbd8311d3b.jpg
    4154085041_fbd8311d3b.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 4154086233_582aa5e3d1.jpg
    4154086233_582aa5e3d1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 4154086881_8a2a70a456.jpg
    4154086881_8a2a70a456.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 86
Great look'n UDS and butt.

What internal temp did you take your butt to?

Did you keep a log of your cook?

How was the fatty?

I know, I know, I'm full of questions... and during the Holidays too... :-D

Papa

I think messed up temps inside the smoker and extended the cook time. (I think...)

this took around 14.5 hours and I never had to add charcoal. I think I'm hooked.

Wow!
Sounds good and congrats.

I can hardly believe your first cook (this was your first cook...right?) was a butt and that you spent 14 hours on it. That's quite a task.

I am not bashing you at all....I'm just trying to support my opinion that the first couple of smokes ought to be something a little simpler like chicken and/or sausage because most folks would probably get discouraged and wouldn't be able to pull off what you did (that sorta makes you a stud).

I have a neighbor and friend that owns a small smoker and they've only cranked it up one time (to cook ribs and a butt). I think they bit off more than they could chew and have since thrown in the towel (so sad).

Regarding temp control: I wonder if you ought to bring the temp up and then add some water (might require a hose or a valve).

looks good. also please do post up on your lid design. I have a webber bottom that I would love to use a UDS.

My only suggestion to new cooks is limit the number of times you peek at what you are cooking. Too many times new cooks extend the time and quality of the finished product by keep opening up the smoker.

We have a rule at our house. Don't touch the smoker when you see smoke. If you want to see what is cooking or what it looks like you have to be available when I open it up. Years ago, had family members wanting to show what was cooking and how good it looked .............. needless to say ............... that doesn't happen anymore.

Good Job and hope you stick with it.

Back