Table for my Weber 22" OTG

Carbon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I posted this over at the Virtual Weber Bullet site a couple of days ago. And thanks for looking...:)

Anyway, I'm in the process of turning my brick-top hibachi table which I built last summer into a kettle table.
So, over the weekend I stripped the table down to its frame and started the mod for the 22" kettle.

I expect the table with the kettle in it to be hopefully completed in the next few days and will post more photos of this project as work progresses.

This is what I've accomplished so far:

The original hibachi table
P1020604-1.jpg

Stripped everything off the table
kt01.jpg

Added studs for the cement board
kt02.jpg

Cement board in place
kt03.jpg

Running ideas with some broken clay tiles
kt04.jpg

Made cutout for the kettle
kt05.jpg

Looks like it's coming along very well. That's some heavy duty framing you got there, should last you a long time!

Nie work! Looks good so far. Can't wait to see it when your done!

looks like me, and the rest of the brethren could stand on top of that thing. Very nice, cant wait to see the rest of it!

Great start, I look forward to seeing it when you're done. Have you given any thought as to how you are going to handle a hot lid while cooking? I don't see any signs of hooks or other holders yet...

Thanks all. It's been a fun project so far....anything to do with Q'ing is fun!
I used heavy lumber originally for that heavy duty 'rustic' look I was going after, besides, the table needed to be able to handle a load of bricks on top, so I figured some 4x4's and 4x6's should do the trick. :))

Have you given any thought as to how you are going to handle a hot lid while cooking? I don't see any signs of hooks or other holders yet...
Yes, I intend to do one of two things. Either mount Weber's Slide-Aside stainless steel lid holder over the left edge of the table or make a simple wooden brace of some sort to simply be able to prop the lid on the edge of the table.

I saw this on TVWBB and wondered the same thing about the lid? (as I was futzing with my WSM lids with my cart)

Looking forward to the finished product.

Thgis is looking really good. What are you going yo cover the cement board with?

It's looking good so far. Is quarry tile your choice for the finished top? Be sure to make a provision for a soft joint around the perimeter of the tile against the framing; you wont regret it.

Tile and stone is where I've spent the last 30 years.

Ping me if you need any tips.

Chris

Thanks guys! I have a day off tomorrow so I'll continue to work on this project and provide more photos.

My next step is to chop the handles off both sides of the kettle and see how well the kettle fits into the cutout before tiling the board.

Chris: Thanks for that tip on the soft joint around the perimeter. I figured since I won't be grouting between the tiles and the wood frame it shouldn't present a problem? I also figured some greasy gunk will eventually make their way between the tiles and the wood frame providing a natural filler. Do you think that would be sufficient?
I will be using some extra 1/2" quarry tiles I have laying around from a previous tiling job which will match well with my existing outdoor tiles. I intend to break them into chunks.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I have a day off tomorrow so I'll continue to work on this project and provide more photos.

My next step is to chop the handles off both sides of the kettle and see how well the kettle fits into the cutout before tiling the board.

Chris: Thanks for that tip on the soft joint around the perimeter. I figured since I won't be grouting between the tiles and the wood frame it shouldn't present a problem? I also figured some greasy gunk will eventually make their way between the tiles and the wood frame providing a natural filler. Do you think that would be sufficient?
I will be using some extra 1/2" quarry tiles I have laying around from a previous tiling job which will match well with my existing outdoor tiles. I intend to break them into chunks.

Thanks!

You really need to fill the perimeter joint. That greasy gunk becomes bacteria central, and then it becomes acidic and you'll eventually see rot.

After you lay the tiles, let them set up completely. Then stuff the perimeter joint with some cord or rope before you grout the tiles. When you've done the final clean up the grout, remove the cord. Then caulk it with some good quality silicone.

For this table, I'd spend the few extra dollars and use an epoxy grout. Harder to work with, but it's very resistant to staining and bacteria. It's what they use to grout the floors in commercial kitchens.

Good luck,

Chris

Chris: Thank you! I will use your advice and use silicone at the perimeter. Come to think of it, I was checking out my second story balcony and they used silicone between the floor tiles and wood trim.
I was also originally planning on using standard sanded grout using addmix but now I'll look into expoxy grouts as you recommended. Thanks!

George

LATICRETE® SpectraLOCK, Hydroment 1900, Mapei Kerapoxy, Custom Building Products 100% Solids Epoxy Grout are all good products. The first two are easiest to work with. All will give you a strong, high performance surface that will be very sanitary. You'll be able to scrub it down and hose it off.

You may be able to get them at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you're close to Anaheim, a few calls to some of the places down on "Tile Mile" should get you a source for any of them. Here's the web sites for all of them.

www.laticrete.com

www.bostik-us.com

www.mapei.us

www.custombuildingproducts.com

For the silicone? GE or Dow Corning...none better.

Chris

You really need to fill the perimeter joint.......caulk it with some good quality silicone.

For this table, I'd spend the few extra dollars and use an epoxy grout.

Yeah I agree on both counts. A good 100% silicone product will stay there and seal the perimeter joint well and it will also bond to both the tile and grout as well as the wood trim. Make sure you leave enough room for a nice sized bead...it'll help it bond.

Also--the epoxy grout is some mean stuff. No need to have to seal the grout as the epoxy is impervious to staining and moisture. Youll have even more limited working time and less (if any) forgiveness if you don't get the excess wiped off before it sets, but a small (comparatively) area like your table top should make it easier.

I have seen some epoxy grout "leech" into and under the small voids of the thinset mortar (especially if a larger square notched trowel is used to apply the thinset, causing small holes or "dimples" in the grout surface. This was corrected with a "touch up" application the next day, but just so you're prepared.....

Good luck!

I have seen some epoxy grout "leech" into and under the small voids of the thinset mortar (especially if a larger square notched trowel is used to apply the thinset, causing small holes or "dimples" in the grout surface. This was corrected with a "touch up" application the next day, but just so you're prepared.....

Good luck!

Yes, that is a characteristic of epoxy. They generate heat and will flow into any voids under the tiles. You can avoid it by using a sufficient notch trowel and then bedding the tiles well into the thin-set to avoid gaps underneath the installed tiles.

Some secrets...Let the thin-set set for at least 2-3 days before grouting with epoxy or you'll get pinholes in the grout. Follow mixing instructions exactly, and don't under-mix. Get it out of the pail as soon as it is mixed. It will set faster in the pail than it will spread out some on a scrap of cardboard.

After you use the float to get as much off of the surface of the tile as possible, you can use some hot water and a scotch-brite pad to get the remaining residue off. Just be careful and try not to disturb the fresh grout joints. If it looks clean, but feels tacky to the touch the next day, use the hot water and scotch-brite again, with a little dish soap.

Save about a cup or two of the leftover uncured epoxy and put it into a plastic throwaway container. Stick it in the freezer (it will stop the curing process). The day after grouting, take it out of the freezer and let it come to ambient temp while you inspect grouted surface for low spots and holes. Use the now warm epoxy for any required touch ups. Let it all cure and you'll have a damn near bullet proof table top that will be easy to clean and resist attack from oils and marinade acids.

Ping me if have more questions.

Chris

Thanks for the additional info!

Today, I removed the legs off of the kettle, chopped off the handles, and dropped the kettle in the hole to check for fit before laying tiles. No problem so far....:D

kt11.jpg

kt12.jpg

Back