Advice finding Hickory splits and hickory lump?

Not online, but most HD, Lowes and Walmart have Hickory and other hard wood lump/chunks on the shelf. My local grocery store also has chunks. Or are you talking about lump charcoal from hickory wood?

Try calling a local tree cutting business. If you have Hickory trees in your area they will probably have some split as hardwood. If you need smaller, a kindling cracker (Northern Tool) will help and if you need shorter, just ask if they can cut some to "X" length for you. You may have to let it age, but a lot of restaurants use green hickory in their smokers, but others want seasoned. Also if you have friends or relatives with apple trees, any time they do any limb trimming or take out a tree, that's a free source. Around here I have a steady supply of Pecan and Apple from my co-workers (Georgia is a haven for Pecan). They are happy when I drag away storm dropped limbs, etc... as it saves them the trouble.

I see you're from Michigan. I would have to think there would be a local tree service that sells fire wood. You can let them know specifically what you're looking for. I have a guy here in PA that will sell me face cords of hickory, oak, and cherry. I can either buy a face cord mix of these 3 or a face cord of each to make a full cord...

Pecan is pretty close if you can find one of the other you should be good.

Thanks everyone. I may need to look around for a tree service that is cutting wood. Michigan is the second or third highest in apple orchard, so that may be a good local source too. Traverse City is the cherry capital and a couple hours away, so maybe I just need to call around. Thanks

Check craigslist and call tree and firewood places. I don’t think you will find any pecan in Michigan but hickory, Apple, Cherry, Maple, and Oak should all be available. If that fails, ask the guys at a local stick burning BBQ joint. They usually are happy to share supplier contacts.

You shouldn't have a hard time finding Hickory. Every place I talk to around SE Mi has it. It is easy for me to get Cherry too. Good luck.

Check craigslist and call tree and firewood places. I don’t think you will find any pecan in Michigan but hickory, Apple, Cherry, Maple, and Oak should all be available. If that fails, ask the guys at a local stick burning BBQ joint. They usually are happy to share supplier contacts.
I agree. I was snooping on Craigslist last night and I found all kinds of wood for sale.

You can also call around to any BBQ joints and see who the source from. We have a place locally here that supplies a lot of the restaurants and is willing to sell by the wheelbarrow.

Back