How to make Great Turkeys using Char-Broil's "The Big Easy" Oil-less Fryer V2.0

2022 bump.

Thanks Mike and MadMan for putting this together.

This will be my 6th or 7th thanksgiving using the Big Easy. I deep fried for years, but not anymore.

Just saw this IAMM! Thanks! At least the old thread survived in some form. Photobuckect leaving wrecked the thread but you saved alot of it. I do need to state that I did not write alot of the text contained in this 2.0 version. Since I don't have the original thread anymore I will try to find it.

Found it minus a bunch of pic's due to Tiny Pic going away. Many more survived in the OP. The info remains the same.

Here's the Original Version with the photo loss. The info I posted remains the same from the original version.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=200865

Happy Thanksgiving All and I'm going to to one at Christmas. Will try to post new pic's then.

Last edited:
I haven't used my big easy in a few years but today it gets the call. Cooking two birds, one in the pit boss one in the big easy.

I am not seeing the tutorial in post one tho

When I did mine I ran it for 15-20 min to get to Temp. Put the Bird in and when it had the color I wanted I took the mesh lid off and continued the cook. I also trussed the bird- see Alton Brown Trussing a Turkey Video- to hold it together so it cooked evenly. Prior to cooking I put bags of ice over the breast to drop their temp so the white meat is done when the dark meat was. Put your thermometer in the thickest part of the breast for the cook. I always brine my birds. I believe that does help speed up cooking time but this might be my magical thinking
There is another tutorial I believe That Mike AKA Happy Hapgood did a few years back
Hope this helps

TBE does an amazing job cooking turkeys. I just do the Turkey. I know Mike has done other things in it. If you decide to get one I believe that there are 2 sizes. I think most people here use the smaller one

big easy bird turned out great.

I bought my big easy off Craigslist over 8 years ago for 30 bucks. haven't used it in quite a while

Here's a chicken in TBE.

I1hrZgi.jpg

And A Turkey.

8fLj1eH.jpg

Picked one up today for $99.00

You will really like how this thing cooks. It helps to truss the bird so its cooked evenly and to ice the breast meat for about 45 min to drop the temp so the white meat is done at the same time as the dark meat

Back