Big Easy - Oil Less Turkey Fryer Tips

Trailer Trash

is one Smokin' Farker
I see that a number of th Brethren have acquired the Big Easy Turkey Fryer thru the holidays so I thought I'd share some tips and recipe of what I believe is the best turkey I've ever had. I feel I am a novice as I only cook turkey thru the holiday season (unlike barbecue) so I don't get near the practice. This year I went over board and did six turkeys (I have two Big Easy's).

Tips;

- To keep your Big Easy looking new inside and out and make cleanup easier, remove the big internal can/bucket from the cooker and place it upside down onto a sheet of aluminum foil. Trace and cut the foil to the diameter of the large can. Drop the aluminum foil down to the floor of the can and poke a hole in the center to allow the turkey juices and fats to exit the can as it was designed to do. This keeps the juices from baking hard onto the internal floor and will not in any way disrupt the design of the cooking process.

- I have a hard time removing the bottom juice/grease drawer and getting the juices into a cooking container for gravey without spilling hot juices everywhere (our wiener dog is not happy about this fix). I remove the drawer. The distance between the three legs are wide enough to put 2.5 inch "Half Hotel Pan" under the drip hole. I lay an "aluminum throw away half pan" into the "solid aluminum half pan" and poke a 1/2 inch hole into the center of the top through away pan. The reason for the top pan is to keep unwanted blowing leaves, dirt etc. from getting into the saved juices. I'm sure you could also use a sheet of foil on top of the bottom pan as well. Just create a slight funnel to the center and poke a hole. You could probably use a cast iron pan as well instead of the solid aluminum hotel pan. It is a cinch to lift the Big Easy onto and off of this setup. You can then use the pan to cook your gravey in as well.

Recipe;

Brine- I like to make this 2 days early, refrigerate and it's ready ahead of time.
1 Gal. Water
1 Cup. Diamond Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup. White Sugar
1 Tbs. MortenTender Quick
1 Tbs. Onion Powder
1 Tbs. Garlic Powder
1 Tbs. Paprika
1.5. tsp. White Pepper
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed
1.5. tsp. Poultry Seasoning
Bring to boil, remove from stove, add 1 gallon cool water (or ice if using right away). Place into a 5 gallon food grade bucket. Submerge turkey and refrigerate overnight.

Spice-
"Everything Spice" (everything bagel spice)
Ingredients
4 teaspoons poppy seeds
4 teaspoons sesame seeds
4 teaspoons dried garlic flakes
4 teaspoons dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons kosher salt or 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt

Remove turkey from brine after 8 - 12 hours, wash completely and dry with paper towel.

Coat with your favorite oil (I use grapeseed oil).

Sprinkle spice all over the bird as well as about a few teaspoons into the inside. Get it under the skins around thighs and under breast.

Split a quarter pound stick of butter in half and squeeze between your palms to form a puck (turkey boobies). Roll in the spice mixture and slide under skin over breasts, one on each breast.

Option: At this point I open and drink half of a Foster's beer (large oil can) and place the turkey down over the beer can. The i stuff a whole lemon that has been slit into to release lemon juice throughout the cook. I'm sure the turkey would be very good without it but it does add a degree of WOW for the guest and they think it is special. :) Wield the turkey with beer can down into the basket ( I do this in the sink) and transfer to your Big Easy. Light it and enjoy the next 3 hours and 45 minutes with family (I cook to 170°+).

It becomes so tender it is hard to remove in one piece (has broke in half at the middle of the back bone) I just slide it back together on the cutting board and make the gravey from the juices mentioned above.

Enjoy and please add your tips / best recipe!

I see that a number of th Brethren have acquired the Big Easy Turkey Fryer thru the holidays so I thought I'd share some tips and recipe of what I believe is the best turkey I've ever had. I feel I am a novice as I only cook turkey thru the holiday season (unlike barbecue) so I don't get near the practice. This year I went over board and did six turkeys (I have two Big Easy's).

Tips;

- To keep your Big Easy looking new inside and out and make cleanup easier, remove the big internal can/bucket from the cooker and place it upside down onto a sheet of aluminum foil. Trace and cut the foil to the diameter of the large can. Drop the aluminum foil down to the floor of the can and poke a hole in the center to allow the turkey juices and fats to exit the can as it was designed to do. This keeps the juices from baking hard onto the internal floor and will not in any way disrupt the design of the cooking process.

I too thought it was nice to keep it shiny like new, but then I read this...
I found this on the website, not sure how this works in your plan of a shiny new interior. After reading this, it may be the cause of my 1.5 hour prematurely done turkey cooking time as I also cleaned to new stainless appearance. I guess I should learn to read instruction before I use the unit. LOL...

"Be sure the cooking chamber has been well seasoned. Seasoning will result in the stainless steel pot turning a dark brown which will optimize cooking performance. To season the cooking chamber, wipe down inside surfaces with cooking oil and allow the unit to burn on high for 15 minutes or until the unit stops smoking."

http://content.charbroil.com/content...ocument.htm#A1

Once seasoned any drippings have simply rinsed out for me.

- I have a hard time removing the bottom juice/grease drawer and getting the juices into a cooking container for gravey without spilling hot juices everywhere (our wiener dog is not happy about this fix). I remove the drawer. The distance between the three legs are wide enough to put 2.5 inch "Half Hotel Pan" under the drip hole. I lay an "aluminum throw away half pan" into the "solid aluminum half pan" and poke a 1/2 inch hole into the center of the top through away pan. The reason for the top pan is to keep unwanted blowing leaves, dirt etc. from getting into the saved juices. I'm sure you could also use a sheet of foil on top of the bottom pan as well. Just create a slight funnel to the center and poke a hole. You could probably use a cast iron pan as well instead of the solid aluminum hotel pan. It is a cinch to lift the Big Easy onto and off of this setup. You can then use the pan to cook your gravey in as well.

I also found that a 1/3 size 4" deep pan will replace the pan holder altogether and give you a deeper pan.
4%20inch%20pan_zpsfl8qqmmk.jpg

And for those who like disposable pan options, they make 1/3 size 4" deep foil pans that will nest nicely inside the stainless steel 1/3 size steam table pan.

4%20inch%20pan%20b_zpskfp2tplz.jpg

I hope this helps..

Thank you Mad Man! Now that I think about it, I remember the "Seasoning Stage" but haven't done that. Ha, ha. Probably why I had to re-assemble my wife's excercise bike twice... Never read the directions! Thanks for the input.

Thank you Mad Man! Now that I think about it, I remember the "Seasoning Stage" but haven't done that. Ha, ha. Probably why I had to re-assemble my wife's excercise bike twice... Never read the directions! Thanks for the input.

I'm with you.... I used mine twice with the bird getting done way ahead of schedule. Once seasoned It cooked right on time. When everything else fails, then I read the directions... LOL

I just saved your recipe, will try it next time... Thanks

Thank you so much for the reminder about the pit seasoning. Last month I did one for Thanksgiving and it turned out decent, I did one last week and it sucks. Part of breast were at 180 while parts of thigh and legs were 150. Top part browned, bottom part still white.

Went ahead and chopped it up and made Turkey noodle soup.

Now I remembered I sprayed Mr Muscle (very strong caustic oven cleaner) on the cylinder and pressure hosed it thinking I can store it back in its box in the garage.

This is yet another example of my sophomoric mistake. You know, like when your second brisket sux cause your first one was a success, and you start skipping steps.

TT
Great write up brother. Question if I may. I ask this to just about everyone and never seem to get the same answer. Is the turkey out of the oil less fryer honestly as good as deep fried? If you say yes, it's a done deal. I'm buying one.

It's good in a different way. Skin is crispy but not as deep crispy like fried. But makes better leftover cause it's not greasy, also, rub does not wash off like regular fried. I lent mine to a buddy for Thanksgiving so he can make his Turkey before he buys and he ended up getting one. The no oil cleanup and cost is worth it alone.

TT
Great write up brother. Question if I may. I ask this to just about everyone and never seem to get the same answer. Is the turkey out of the oil less fryer honestly as good as deep fried? If you say yes, it's a done deal. I'm buying one.

SGH, I think it is better, however I am not an expert on the deep fried. I have done them but as was mentioned, I feel much of the seasoning is lost in the oil. The Big Easy produces a VERY moist turkey with GREAT seasoned taste throughout the entire bird. My wife fixed some left overs 2 days after Christmas and claims the taste is in every bite even in left overs. I don't think you have anything to lose as mentioned, you'll save the price in just a couple cooks as a matter of fact I bought one of mine on Craigslist (like new) for $50. Let us know if you make the jump and what you think. Good luck to you!

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
TT

Check craigslist SGH. There was a guy round here who had one for $75. Since i could buy a new one for around $100 at lowes i said fark it and offered the guy $40. He told me no way in hell. I went and bought the new one, then later that day he texted me and said he would do $40 :mad: . Now after thanksgiving ive seen a bunch of them on CL for under $50.

Back