New Big Drum Smoker Site

$425.00!!!!!

For a Drum??? Holy Chit!!! I never saw a real BDS. Whats in there that adds $400 bucks worth of value?

From what I can tell, it's bigger and wider that a normal drum.

is it $400.00 wider? how much did the guy charge you to make what is just about the same thing?

$160 and I bought the therm and the grates.

$400 will just about buy you 2 BSKDs from Northern Tool! I love the idea, but to pay that much for something that is hard to get to the fire, limited cooking area, and will rust out fairly quick is asking a lot! Mista got it right the first time!

The Base model is 250 same as a WSM
I always geta kick out of guys with $1000
smokers saying the BDS costs too much :)
(I am teasin not fighten)
Anyway I love mine ordered a second one
But You gots to be special White Trash
to really understand the complex inner workings
of this here Big Drum

i have never seen a BDS.. I thought they were just drums with grates in them. Im just curious as to what the value added is that makes it worth spending $425 as opposed to building one yourself. (or doing like mista did).

Not arguing or making fun. I never saw one.. so gotta learn somewhere.

There's a guy in Bay Shore, that sells em.. just found out about it, but will check, and report back with price

The $400 Jumbo BDS is a food grade very heavy guage steel and its much larger than the original. I didnt order one of those mine are the old style 55 gal drums scratch and dent discount type. Much the same as a WSM in what you can cook. Sure a guy could make one but I decided to just buy it.
Phil It just has a different taste with the direct heat. Would love ta Q with ya some time :)

direct heat?? But very far away where its not actually grilling??

Thom

I have a WSM

I have a 8# Costco Cryo flat itching to get cooked during Memorial Day.

Not trying to start a Memorial Day cook thread, but I have to ask.

Since the "direct but further away" method of "old style" smoking (from what I learned here) doesnt mind if the fat drips down directly on the coals (flavorizer, from what I'm reading) I need to ask.

I normally cook fat side down on brisket. Does the same hold true, I'm going to use WSM top shelf no water pan, in a direct method?, or is that too much fat hitting the coals/wood

If this question is in the wrong thread, I apologize and please split/delete it.

Well this may get moved but on the BDS you have to flip the Brisket
Fat side down then up then down again It will cook faster
Can you hold 225/235 with no water pan?

BBQchef33 said:
direct heat?? But very far away where its not actually grilling??
Yes the distance makes it smoking not grilling.
But you open the lid and the temps go up great for finnishing Chicken
LOL I am not a BDS Salesman

ThomEmery said:
LOL I am not a BDS Salesman

yup, but your got one and we dont.. so that makes u our expert. :twisted:

So I would think you like the results with them. So the real secret of the cooker is the distance between fire/heat and grates/food. Mista reports his did a fine job of holding temp if I recall. how does it compare to the WSM even though they really are doing different things.

I have a couple WSMs Similar ease of use The primary difference is not using a heat sink Visit Rockys site he has tons of info there. I am hoping Mista is OK with two shelves on the standard 55 gal drum The BDS two shelf is taller than standard drums. Really looking forward to Mistas weekend results.

Back