Overnight Pork Shoulder Picnic Cook

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score

This is one of the very few times I did not inject the pork with Oakridge Game Changer Brine, due to time constraints of the day.

I purchased some Pork Shoulder Picnics for 39 cents a pound at the base commissary.

enhance

Yesterday I rubbed six of the picnics with Butch's Smack Your Lips Magic Dust and put them in the smoker overnight.

enhance

enhance

Into the smoker for the overnight low and slow cook at 225°

enhance

At 5:00 AM I dusted the picnics with Oakridge Competition Beef and Pork Rub for another layer of flavor.

enhance

enhance

at 8:00 AM they cleared the stall at 174° and set them into pans.

enhance

enhance

Waiting for the final phase of the cook to complete, and then on to a 4 hour hold to further breakdown the connective tissues into collagen for a moist and tender meal.

Great looking cook .
In north Ga. what is labeled as picnics has a strong ham taste , same cut of meat labeled as fresh pork shoulder does not and can be hard to fine at times . Boston butt is a different cut.
Normally we buy picnics as a ham substitute and use leftovers for beans and potato soup .
Extremely good if cooked right otherwise too tough for my liking.
Does this labeling of picnic vary from different regions of the country ?
It is rare that I post any thing here but read all of yours .

Waiting for the final phase of the cook, and then on to a 4 hour hold to further breakdown the connective tissue into collagen for a moist and tender meal.

A couple hour later, the bones twisted almost free with a moderate force, like a child's loose tooth. 4 were done and two had slightly longer to cook before being tender.

Well, 4 of the picnics got a four hour hold, the two that took a little longer to cook only got a 3 hour hold. Still ample time to breakdown the connective tissues. That's the beauty of calculating a 4 hour hold in an insulated cooler / Cambro for further connective tissue breakdown, it also acts as a time buffer if the cook takes a little longer.

Pulling the picnics.

enhance

One for the butcher who always calls me when the meat is reduced, two for our little gathering, two for our neighbors accross the street, and one to be vac-sealed and frozen for unexpected guests, or for a quick dinner when time does not allow a cook.

The final product ready to eat, sauce served on the side for those who want some.
A tender yet moist sandwich with great flavor...

enhance

Looks great!

Appreciate you throwing a cook thread out there again... seems like it's been a while.

Kind regards to you folks up North.

In north Ga. what is labeled as picnics has a strong ham taste , same cut of meat labeled as fresh pork shoulder does not and can be hard to find at times. Boston butt is a different cut.

Normally we buy picnics as a ham substitute and use leftovers for beans and potato soup.

That's interesting....

If your pork picnic tastes like ham, could it be that maybe the fresh picnics you are buying may be enhanced with a salt solution and over time maybe start to cure? I Don't know....

Picnics here are the cut just below the pork butt and are very tasty and very tender. I do leave a small band of fat on the meat where the shank is cut. Otherwise it would dry out and be tough just in that small area.

However, I have seen smoked picnics as a cheap substitute for ham, but they are not labeled as fresh picnics...

Great looking cook .
In north Ga. what is labeled as picnics has a strong ham taste , same cut of meat labeled as fresh pork shoulder does not and can be hard to fine at times . Boston butt is a different cut.
Normally we buy picnics as a ham substitute and use leftovers for beans and potato soup .

What you're getting is probably a picnic ham...cured & has pink meat inside. It's already cooked, and is actually ham...as in a holiday ham. This isn't meant for barbecue.

The fresh picnic is uncured...which is why it works out better for you when you cook barbecue (LoL). It isn't cured, and cooks essentially the same as the butt. The butt & the picnic are connected before a butcher sends it through the bandsaw to separate.

How it is labeled shouldn't matter. You should be able to look at them and see the difference.

Great looking cook .

picnic refers to the cut of meat. It is the shoulder, with the boston butt removed. I have seen them uncured(fresh picnic), cured but not cooked(cured picnic), and cured and smoked(picnic ham). All are good, but are somewhat different.

That looks great I tried a picnic once just couldn't get into it. Had too much of a ham taste I like the butt much better personally. Wife didn't care for it either but she's picky

That looks great I tried a picnic once just couldn't get into it. Had too much of a ham taste I like the butt much better personally. Wife didn't care for it either but she's picky

You probably cooked a “picnic ham”, which is different from the uncured picnic cut from the shoulder.

Back