They're ALIVE!!!! 2010 Garden Growing Tips, Tricks, Pron Thread

I do not think, I let the peppers get a true set of leave, or maybe two is better, then I soak the root ball, seperate the seedling and replant them all. I will only transplant up once before setting them out. I like to see at least two full sets of leaves on each plant. I harden off by puttint them outside in the shade for 1/2 days for a couple of days, then full days in shade for a few days, then all night for a couple days, total time is probably a week. I am just about ready to start hardening off my tomatoes and most of the peppers.

Bob, Hijack away. What ever you want to do.
Thanks for those pictures, really. Now I know what to look for. Until your pics I hadn't really ever seen one. Thanks.

CJ, Great tutorial! I think I'll give it a go on my next break from work.

Thanks for those pictures, really. Now I know what to look for. Until your pics I hadn't really ever seen one. Thanks.

Done. This should be FUN!! Great info in this thread. Let's keep in going.

Bob

Thanks, Glad I was able to help. :becky:

Great writeup CJ! I will have to give that a go for blueberries here on my sundeck. The caster mod is a great idea. We often rearrange our sundeck plants for cookouts and the fruit trees in wine barrels always murder my back.

The Earthbox looks like a good idea. Another one is straw bales. take your standard sraw bale soak with water, lay on their wide side, poke hole for plants, add a little potting soil and add plants. The bales will hold water forever and will last one or two seasons. When their done break them up fot compost.

Bob take your peppers add to olive oil and boil till peppers are soft and mushy. Do this out side. I do this Japs and get great hot oil.

Mike

Straw Bales sounds like a good idea but I would think it might be messy on the patio, yes?

On the other hand, a unique idea for outside, Yes?

This is going to be fun!:clap2::clap2:

The Chef Jim Grow Box

I'm inspired. I went the dual 5 gallon bucket method last year. Changed up the growing medium this year, though. But it seems more suited to a single item, like my tomatoes. One of the disadvantages to the bucket system is that the depth of the buckets may be overkill, requiring too much material.
I'm gonna do the Garage Sale/Wally World/Home Improvement store rounds this weekend and see if I can't scare up some planters and material to put together something more like yours. The plastic divider may be the hardest part. I might be able to find a garage sale planter for 50 cents.

Here's a little "Before" pron. It wil be cool to look at the growth a few months from now.
Maters: Red and Yellow Cherry and Red Grape.
4542913277_f373251d90_o.jpg

Let's hope these are really Mammoth Japs!
4542913911_5d1cfbe40c_o.jpg

Basil Forrest is coming BACK!! These are all the seeds that last year's plants dropped. Even found a bird egg shell.
4542914043_a9a7e280a1_o.jpg

Corn and Giant Sunflowers. This is where our dog kennel was. I'm debating whether to turn it into a raised patio area for my grills or a garden. Had to kid proof the seedlings.:becky:
4543546062_2f4bf3e177_o.jpg

Onions! My son already told me he wants to eat em raw like last year. Lime and salt on the onion and him and my daughter eat em up. Their breath STINKS........but we still eat em like that.
4543545938_e3e56eb63c_o.jpg

And you can barely see some carrot seedlings.
4542913337_e6029409dd_o.jpg

I can't wait!!!

Nice garden pictures Bob. Your onion eating technique reminds me of an Italy trip with t he wife last summer where we spontaneously ended up at a local festival eating hardwood charred spring onions and drinking red wine for most the day. I swear I tasted onions in my mouth for the next week.

I'm looking forward to seeing late summer pictures with Peppers. Lots and lots of peppers...

Bob your a regular old Farmer John! Hope your sausage doesn't start grease fires like his do.:mad2:

Ive got a Bonnie's Mammoth Jalapeno too. About that size. mine is in a raised planter and surrounded by zucchini, eggplant, and an early girl tomato and a celebrity tomato plant. I think its a little bit crowded but we don't know what we're doing. I'll get some pron this weekend for my "before's" on those. I think its going to get ugly in that little planter.

I'm going to build another one for the Tepins and Yellow Japs.

Bob, I submit for discussion to make it a BBQ patio surrounded by a raised bed for a chili exclusive planter box.

Bob your a regular old Farmer John! Hope your sausage doesn't start grease fires like his do.:mad2:

Ive got a Bonnie's Mammoth Jalapeno too. About that size. mine is in a raised planter and surrounded by zucchini, eggplant, and an early girl tomato and a celebrity tomato plant. I think its a little bit crowded but we don't know what we're doing. I'll get some pron this weekend for my "before's" on those. I think its going to get ugly in that little planter.

I'm going to build another one for the Tepins and Yellow Japs.

Bob, I submit for discussion to make it a BBQ patio surrounded by a raised bed for a chili exclusive planter box.

Well, we are pretty much done with dogs, big ones anyways. So I won't be putting a dog run there anymore. What I was thinking, if you all can imagine it and then maybe give me some ideas, is I wanted to raise it up 1 or maybe two railroad ties high, backfill with red desert sand. THe sand will only go as high as the 1st tie, put down pavers or flagstone. From there I wanted to leave a 12 inch planting bed along the right side where the grass is. In this bed I can still grow veggies or a nice herb garden. Then I could put some screening on the chain link and put my gasser and the kettle up there along with a patio table and chairs for some Alfresco dining.

On the topic of straw bales, be careful where you place the bales. My dad tried this one year, and the bales will attract mice. They love nesting in the stuff. To top it off they had a perfect food supply near by, dog food and chicken scratch. They didn't really mind, until one of them got in the house. So beware. I've read that they make for some great growing though.

bobaftt posted a link to a nice PDF for something called an EarthTainer in separate thread. I thought it was valuable information that may not get the exposure it deserves. It is right along the same lines as Chef Jim's Earthbox. Since this is now the gardening thread for 2010, I thought that folks who didn't catch his post might want to take a look at it.

The link is[FONT=&quot] http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pdfs/EarthTainer-Construction-Guide.pdf

The credit goes to bobaftt
[/FONT]

bobaftt posted a link to a nice PDF for something called an EarthTainer in separate thread. I thought it was valuable information that may not get the exposure it deserves. It is right along the same lines as Chef Jim's Earthbox. Since this is now the gardening thread for 2010, I thought that folks who didn't catch his post might want to take a look at it.

The link is[FONT=&quot] http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pdfs/EarthTainer-Construction-Guide.pdf

The credit goes to bobaftt
[/FONT]

Please let me set the record straight. I recommended the Earthbox for those that can't grow, or do not have the room to garden. They make a quality product. They can be found at:

http://www.earthbox.com/index.php

I did however post instructions on how one might construct a similar item. It is not an Earthbox and I would never want someone to think that it is!

82 I know where you are coming from but just thought I might nip something in the bud.

Please let me set the record straight. I recommended the Earthbox for those that can't grow, or do not have the room to garden. They make a quality product. They can be found at:

http://www.earthbox.com/index.php

I did however post instructions on how one might construct a similar item. It is not an Earthbox and I would never want someone to think that it is!

82 I know where you are coming from but just thought I might nip something in the bud.

Sorry Man, I didn't mean to stir up a creative rights argument. By calling it "CJ's Earthbox," I meant that it was your suggestion and tutorial, not that "EarthBox" was your product. I just was trying to make sure that you got credit for your suggestion and tutorial, as did bobaftt for his.

I'm sure there will be a lot of UEBs (Ugly Earth Boxes) made to grow peppers in on account of your suggestion.

Back