Choosing a cutting board

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I was thinking of a Boos. This will be an everyday board to be left on the counter. They have a BBQ board, Au Jus board, chop & slice, etc...
And the best place to get a good board, Boos or not?

Gonna check out Linens & Things since we go a 20% off coupon.

thillin said:
Any suggestions? I was thinking of a Boos. This will be an everyday board to be left on the counter. They have a BBQ board, Au Jus board, chop & slice, etc...

Thillin -

My wife is a Pampered Chef consultant and she just picked up for me a nice reversible cutting board that they offer. Don't know how large your counters are ... it may be a little big to leave out all the time - then again ... maybe not. Here is the description from the website:
This beautifully handcrafted bamboo board is ideal for all your carving and slicing needs. The double-sided board features a deep center well on one side to securely hold meat in place. Flip it over for a traditional carving board with a generous well to catch juices. 19 x 14 x 1 1/4 inches.

If you're interested ... let me know and I'll send you her Pampered Chef website address that you can order directly from.

Last edited:
I don't speak from experience, but I have heard that the bamboo cutting boards are pretty good.

Bamboo boards are very good. My daughter-in-law [also a Pampered Chef Consultant] gave me one.
They are hard, tough and easy to clean.
They also seem to be extremely dense. I have been using mine for a couple of months and like it mucho.

... have some small bamboo boards and they are great for many apps. For my main board I want thickness (at least 4 1/2 inches) = weight and end-grain. That leaves Boos as a top choice. Spendy for sure!

Here is my dream cutting board. I do believe the material is available...a 18-24 inch by 15-18 inch 1 inch thick white plastic board that has the center routed out to 1/2 inch thick to within 1 inch of the boarder. This would creat a "well" that would hold all the juices!!! I've found the boards but am working on how to make it routed out. Scott

thillin said:

LNT or BB&B after looking at my usual source. $2 difference and their Boos boards are 1 1/4" thick instead of 2 1/4".

I just checked out the Boos website Very nice stuff. I love their butcher block tables.

I love the bamboo boards, I have two different sizes to use around the house. I just bought 4 more to give as Christmas gifts to the family.

I just looked at their website. It says "used in some of the finest restaurant kitchens in the land". Not around here they aren't. If we tried to use one in the kitchen, the health inspector would watch as we hauled it to the garbage and chucked it in.

Go with plastic. Cheap and easily sterilized.

No doubt, John Boos is best when it comes to Maple cutting boards. My wife got me a 18" x 24" x2.5" Boos Block for Christmas last year. I asked her how much it cost and all she would tell me is that it was expensive. For those who don't want to spend alot of money I hear that Bamboo and Rubberwood are good alternatives.

Those Boos boards look sweet, but pricey. On the other hand, I always reccomend buying one good one instead of several cheap ones. The good ones usually far out perform the cheap ones. Why not get something that you will treasure and be proud of. If you can afford it, go for it.

As far as the plastic vs wood thing, I really like the wood. Been using them for years and never had a problem. They do take extra care though. One good point was Parrothead's. If you are going to use commercially, then definately use plastic.

The board won't be used for raw meat. I'll keep my plastic boards, but I want a nice one to be at the ready. I'll go with Boos maple board, or a bamboo board.

The story of from the other thread is interesting. They don't mention just soaking the thing in bleach which is what you can do with plastic. I wouldn't want to soak a wood one very long.

parrothead said:
The story of from the other thread is interesting. They don't mention just soaking the thing in bleach which is what you can do with plastic. I wouldn't want to soak a wood one very long.
I wouldn't dream of soaking it in bleach. Yuck. I rarely cut raw meat on it. The key is keeping it clean and oiled. IMHO

Well, I bought my MIL a bamboo board from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Dropped it off today, and there are about 3 hairline cracks in it. Will they close up after oiling, or should I go exchange it?

Ty

Try wiping the whole board front and back generously with mineral oil for a couple days. The board should swell and be back to normal in notime. If the cracks are too big just reglue the board.

Back