Stainless vs. cast iron grates on Pit Maker Safe

Hank151

Reaction score
So I just ordered a new smoker can’t wait to get it. Pitmaker Safe I’m debating whether or not to get the option of stainless steel grates it’s an 800 dollar upgrade seems a little pricey. Anyone have any suggestions for me is it something I should get or pass on? This cooker will be used just for backyard use.

Seems pricey but if you can afford it I would upgrade. Stainless is much easier to keep clean and if they are 304 then they should never rust.

Well seasoned grates should never rust. I think $800 is too much. I'd spend that on other options or keep it in your bank account.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have SS grates in one smoker and grill, expanded metal grates in another smoker, it's just as easy keeping one or the other clean imo. The expanded metal grates are well seasoned and I've never had a rust problem which would be the only reason for spending money on SS imo. I do like the SS on my grill because of the high heat I use on certain cooks 700+ which will cause rust issues.

Thanks everyone for the advice not totally sure what to do yet but I think 800 xtra seems like to much. Maybe I can try and get em to do it for 600 then it might be worth it.

SS grates are not worth it. The grease from the food will prevent rust. Or you can just give them a spritz with some Pam before each cook for spots and rails that dont get food grease on them.

The only time I got rust on mine was when I listened to that idiot Ben Lang and sprayed water in it.

SS grates are not worth it. The grease from the food will prevent rust. Or you can just give them a spritz with some Pam before each cook for spots and rails that dont get food grease on them.

The only time I got rust on mine was when I listened to that idiot Ben Lang and sprayed water in it.

What Rockinar said! Pitmaker already has heavy duty grates, and if you take care of them they will last a long time. If you ever want to sell your smoker, you will not recoup the extra dollars spent up front on stainless grates.

Thanks all you guys are right I’m. It gonna bother with the stainless steel grates

Back