Will this be enough for 14 folks?

M

Merlinspop

Hi, All!

My sister in law is throwing a baby shower for my wife this Sunday. She was going to make this atrocious boiled/slow cooker pulled pork stuff (okay, it's not terrible, but it's not *good* either). Anyway, I decided to step in and volunteer my UDS.

There'll be 15 adults (co-ed, not a traditional shower, more a party with tiny gifts). At least one is a tofu-eating moron (did I mention my brother in law will be there?). Anyway, I thought I would do two decent sized butts and a packer brisket. Other folks are bringing sides and I'll have the Weber fired up for dogs/burgers. I might, though, also try a pot of baked beans in my cast iron dutch oven if I can find a good recipe for those just for giggles. Think that'll be enough meat? I also have to make sure it all fits in a 55gal UDS.

I'm a newbie so I'll be following the basic brisket tutorial. Party starts at 2pm, so I'm putting everything in the UDS around 10PM the night before. Will get up around 4 and foil (my wife loves the smokey flavor, but thinks it's a bit too strong when left in the smoke for the whole time) with a spritz of apple juice. Will take the butts off in the morning when internals hit 195* and cooler them. Will take the brisket off when it says it's done. Somewhere around 10am, give or take. Shred and slice (as appropriate) around 1. Since the grill will be fired up anyway, I'll cube up the Point and toss it in a grill wok to crisp.

We have an old family recipe for a pretty decent BBQ sauce that I'll serve with both.

Sounds like a plan?

Thanks,

Bruce

I think that would be enough. I served three decent size butts and a brisket and fed 30 people with it this pass weekend. Also had three sides and two desserts. So I think you should be fine. Of course all the brisket got ate and probably had a few lbs of pulled pork left over. I always over shoot.

I think you'll have pleanty.

If you're not sure though, you can calculate a bit closer this way:

Pulled pork - 1/4 to 1/3lb per serving (finished weight) calculate for 50% loss from water weight and fat removal (example - 8lb butt cooks down and pulls to about 4lbs of edible meat, slightly higher if you serve chopped pork)

Brisket - 2 slices is usually about 1/4lb - most folks feel ripped off when they only get 2 slices so figure on 3 slices - that's about 1/3lb (finished weight)
with brisket you'll retain about 60% of your original weight after cooking

Using this "formula" above, if you had 2 - 8lb butts (16lbs) you would end up with ~8lb of usable meat - enough for 24 - 1/3lb servings.

1 - 12lb packer would give you ~7lbs of meat, enough for 21 - 1/3lb servings (that # does not account for burn end pieces or other non-sliced brisket or parts that some folks won't want to eat)

YMMV!! If folks will be serving themselves, then you can count on them taking more than what you expect! :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!

Oh, and tell that tofu licking ninny to grow a spine! :becky:

If you make the beans then you should prolly add some of the juices and bits of meat to it... just don't tell the BIL!

Actually, I found a great way to get tofu heads to reconsider what they munch on is to make sure they understand that 95% of all soy beans grown are GMO, and also contain a far higher amount of estrogen than any other food (thats why most men that eat or drink alot of soy based products have very effeminate personality traits).

That and to be willing to eat and drink all that soy you have to hand in your man card anyway. That sounds like plenty of food to me. Especially if you are going to have a bunch of sides. I cooked for around sixty and did 4 butts however there were also lots of other things served as well. Ended up with a TON of leftovers!

I think you'll be fine with that amount of meats. I prepared something similar with with only one butt for a group of 13 and had left overs.

Sounds like you'll have some left overs butt, thats always good IMHO. Better to have some extra than too little.

Try (I hope I get the name right) Keri's Beans. just do a search reviewed made and posted many times.

Edit: Tim Linked to it Awesome.

That does seem like enough food to me. If it was 14 men, no, but, 14 co-ed that should be plenty. In a co-ed gathering of 14 there is one tofu eater and it is your BIL? Sad, just sad. Are you smoking a tofurkey for him?
559px-Field_Roast_Celebr.jpg

Yep, sounds like you have enough meat planned. I would say that 195 degrees internal may or may not be high enough, depending on the butt. I don't pull mine until my probe goes in like butta...same with a brisket. YMMV. Have fun - and take some pictures.

That does seem like enough food to me. If it was 14 men, no, but, 14 co-ed that should be plenty. In a co-ed gathering of 14 there is one tofu eater and it is your BIL? Sad, just sad. Are you smoking a tofurkey for him?
559px-Field_Roast_Celebr.jpg

Bob, you should be modded by Bob AGAIN for posting that picture in Q-talk! :) Now, go to your room until you're ready to play nice!

Yep, you should do just fine, you cooking Tofu Burgers for the BIL?

No...BIL is on his own. Actually, he's taking the kids to a park or something so they' (and he) will be out of the way. :-D My SIL is happy, so I guess that's what matters.

Sounds like the right amount to me and you should be able to fit that in a 55 UDS we fit a 15lb brisket and 2 8lb butts in ours.

I'm sure you know this already but If your UDS knows you have to eat at 2 the next day and you go to sleep it will shut off on you.... or at least mine does lol.

sorry to hear about your BIL, do you think there is hope of reform?

Sounds like you'll have some left overs butt, thats always good IMHO. Better to have some extra than too little.

Try (I hope I get the name right) Keri's Beans. just do a search reviewed made and posted many times.

Edit: Tim Linked to it Awesome.

Here's her recipe, in her words...it is absolutely awesome!
Mods, hope this is ok to post

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5290021414/m/5670069613?r=5670069613#5670069613 Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own.
icon_smile.gif
This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

That kinda feed and i'll show up to a baby shower! Strong work my brother in changing the food plans from crotch-pot que.

Post some pics of the food (and any cute ladies attending).

Since I'm going to have the smoker running overnight anyway... and I'll be getting up to check temps, and maybe foil (still on the fence on that)... and there'll be multiple family members staying the night who'll want breakfast...

I was thinking of putting a plain fatty on the at 4am. Nothing fancy, just two tubes of sausage smooshed up and rolled to make a big fatty. I figure it'll take about 4 hours to reach 165* (isn't that the temp I need?). Will the fatty cooking in there affect the final outcome of the brisket and butts if I ended up not foiling them, or would that make me have to foil them?

Secondly, to have a third meat option, I was thinking that I would throw on 2-3 store bought kielbasas. I figure that they wouldn't add hardly any additional effort, other than slicing them up and plating. The one's I usually get to throw on the grill are pre-cooked...how long would you recon it'd take to heat them and give them some added smoke flavor? I was guessing 3 hours, tops?

I'm not concerned if I end up with too much... I've got a few co-workers committed to not bring in lunch on Monday to help get rid of anything I bring in.

Back