Gas Grill Recommendations

Bdsankey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on a gas grill for my wife and I. I bought a cheap charcoal grill before going off the deep end just to ensure she liked the food. While she likes the food she has indicated she likes food off of the gas grill better. I've cooked food seasoned identically as well as to the same doneness level.

That said I am looking for something that I can cook ribs on as well as have searing ability. I have been looking at Blaze and Napolean grills mainly as of now. I want something that I can take off of the cart (freestanding now, built it later) as well as run off of natural gas (when built in). I don't really care about lighted knobs etc but internal lights may come in handy. I would like the ability to add a rotisserie at some point.

Current front runners are a Blaze 4LTE or 5LTE with one of the burners converted to an infrared searing burner or a Napolean Prestige 665 RSIB.

I like Weber grills. They last a really long time and come in NG and LP. I believe the summit series is the top of the line.

I bought a used 2006 version Weber Summit and has yet to need a replacement part (knock on wood). They came/come in LP and NG. Mine is propane and they used to have a NG conversion kit but I believe they stopped selling the kits. It'll hold slow and low and crank up to 600 no problem. I fit a Little Griddle on one side so it can also be a flat top grill. Keep it clean, keep it covered, it'll give years of service.

It's hard to beat Weber, but I am very happy with my Saber, and have a friend who works with Bull and what he has shown my is very impressive in terms of build quality and cooking.

I love my Weber and you can turn off the middle burner for indirect cooking

I am looking for recommendations on a gas grill for my wife and I. I bought a cheap charcoal grill before going off the deep end just to ensure she liked the food. While she likes the food she has indicated she likes food off of the gas grill better. I've cooked food seasoned identically as well as to the same doneness level.

That said I am looking for something that I can cook ribs on as well as have searing ability. I have been looking at Blaze and Napolean grills mainly as of now. I want something that I can take off of the cart (freestanding now, built it later) as well as run off of natural gas (when built in). I don't really care about lighted knobs etc but internal lights may come in handy. I would like the ability to add a rotisserie at some point.

Current front runners are a Blaze 4LTE or 5LTE with one of the burners converted to an infrared searing burner or a Napolean Prestige 665 RSIB.

One thing that I picked up from AmazingRibs sometime back... When looking at the searing ability of a given grill, especially so that you can compare two potentially dissimilar grills forget about BTU ratings and look at what they call 'flux.'

Flux considers BTU, but takes into account the space that those BTUs are spread over. The Weber Summit E/S-470 have a flux rating of 104, but the Broil King only runs about 76.

The Weber runs at 48,000 BTU and the BK at 60,000 but the Weber is more concentrated.

https://amazingribs.com/grill/weber-summit-e-470-and-s-470-gas-grill-review

https://amazingribs.com/grill/broil-king-imperial-xls-gas-grill-review

I've had a Weber Summit s-670 for 9 years and have been very pleased with it. Warranty is top notch.

I'll bet it's been quite a few years since I used it, nothing against gas grills I just like cooking over lump. :)

So, I've had this grill going on 3 years now.

Char-Broil Commercial Tru-infrared : https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil...opane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1000107415

I love to cook on my ceramic but as you said, sometimes people just like food off of a gas cooker. My family is that way with burgers :crazy:. Other times, it's just faster and/or easier at times. The side burner/griddle is also nice for doing onions, etc. It holds heat very well to boot.

I love this grill. Not grease fires, can cook indirect, and the grates are cast iron and produce very nice grill marks. All that and it won't send you to the poor house either.

So, I've had this grill going on 3 years now.

Char-Broil Commercial Tru-infrared : https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil...opane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burner/1000107415

I love to cook on my ceramic but as you said, sometimes people just like food off of a gas cooker. My family is that way with burgers :crazy:. Other times, it's just faster and/or easier at times. The side burner/griddle is also nice for doing onions, etc. It holds heat very well to boot.

I love this grill. Not grease fires, can cook indirect, and the grates are cast iron and produce very nice grill marks. All that and it won't send you to the poor house either.

Have you done any long cooks or just mainly grilling?

The thing that is appealing about a Blaze is the fact of 100% lifetime warranty. I also can build it in at a later date when I build a house.

When you say long cooks, then I'm thinking butts, brisket, etc.

Along those lines, no I have not. I use the BGE for long cooks, smoking and anytime I want charcoal flavor.

All that said, I've never had a need to on the gasser. It will run as long as you have a gas feed I'd suspect.

When you say long cooks, then I'm thinking butts, brisket, etc.

Along those lines, no I have not. I use the BGE for long cooks, smoking and anytime I want charcoal flavor.

All that said, I've never had a need to on the gasser. It will run as long as you have a gas feed I'd suspect.

My question more so pertains to temperature control/regulation.

While she likes the food she has indicated she likes food off of the gas grill better.
Need new wife.

WAIT!!! :) OR, you need to UP your game on the charcoal, like get a Weber 22" off Craigslist for $50, it is a night and day to your "cheap charcoal",
and learn how to use it. Cheaper to get a grill than a new wife, I hear.

You could get and older Weber Genesis off Craigslist for less than $100, maybe put new parts into it, and be miles ahead of many gas grills.
Heck, I'd sell you my Rotisserie cheap if you were closer. Got the whole grille and roti for (Gen Silver A) for (cough) $10.

Have you thought of a pellet grill like a Mac, Traeger etc? I can't recommend any gas grill for taste.

I really like Broil King products. Canadian manufacturer. I bought one of their lower lines and it sat out uncovered for 10 years and I ever had to do a thing to it. I only got rid of it because I found a higher end ($600) Broil King on CL for $80. I love it too.

Just my .02 but if you go with Nat Gas instead of propane you will not get the same heat output as NG does not burn as hot as propane.

I too have a Weber and agree 100% with the above comments but for a OD kitchen/build may want to go with one of the commercial grade units mentioned.

Good Luck!

Both the options you're considering are really nice grills. The specs on Blaze are great but there isn't a lot of information on them outside of BBQ Guys and the related websites and Blaze is their house brand so I wouldn't consider what's there free from bias. I really like the Napoleon. I've been happy with my Weber Genesis but I don't think I'd spend the kind of money that the Summit costs on one. I think Napoleon is a better option at the higher end. Even further down in the market, I'm not thrilled with the second generation Genesis grills and would probably go with Broil King, Blaze or Napoleon.

I have a blaze pro 44”... it’s outstanding.

Except... 1) rear rotisserie burner lacking power & 2) needed to run a bead of high temp silicone around where hood touches when closed to keep water out of drip pan.

Don’t really care about 1... I find rear rotisserie burners meh anyway; do fine without rear when spinning & 2 = 10 dollar few minute fix. No more water in drip tray.

The burners are HEAVY as are flame tamers and the grates. thick. ass. stainless. I plopped in infrared burner as well. The whole thing can run infernal hot or indirect / zones as needed.

Really happy with it. Would do it again. Was b/w blaze dcs lynx and deep down I didn’t want ceramic thing to break and it came in well cheaper as well.
Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about the blaze.

Have you thought of a pellet grill like a Mac, Traeger etc? I can't recommend any gas grill for taste.

I have. I'd love a Yoder YS640s or a Mak 2 star since it comes with the flame zone as opposed to ordering it separate.

I've read too many bad things about the time it takes Traeger's to heat up as well as their lacking ability to direct grill.

Another two options I was considering were from Sams Club/Members Mark. I got to put hands on two of them yesterday and they seem very good quality for the money. The GT seems MUCH MUCH more high end compared to all of the other grills they offer.

GT Elite 7 Burner
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/membe...bbq-grill/prod22650721.ip?xid=plp_product_1_7

Stainless 6 Burner
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/membe...as-grill/prod22570528.ip?xid=plp_product_1_11

I'd read some pretty good things about the construction of the one at Costco as well (they have it without the island as well)

https://www.costco.com/Signateur-5-Burner-Island-Grill-With-Smoker.product.100383308.html

Personally, I'm going to stick with major brands going forward. The grill I had prior to the weber was purchased at Costco. It was sold under a Costco specific brand name but was built by one of the higher end companies (can't remember which, might have been RH Peterson who also make Fire Magic)

It was a major lemon and it was almost impossible to get parts a couple years out as it was a one-off build. That's the concern I would have with the Members Mark ones as well. Both companies come out with new versions of these pretty much every year and there isn't a service structure to continue to support any specific model.

Back