Do you put your meat in cold?

Do you consider meat temp before you cook?

• From cooler to cooker

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • Almost Room Temp

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Room Temp

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • I put it under my arm pit for a while first

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Wondering if you Q'ers let your meat warm up before putting it in the smoker or on the grill.

Plowboy said:
Wondering if you Q'ers let your meat warm up before putting it in the smoker or on the grill.

Half an hour sitting room temp, usually. That is not much time to change anything on large cuts, and about how long it takes me to get the pit ready if I prepped some things earlier.

Sometimes I forget, and it is zero minutes.

Sometimes I need to make coffee, and it is an hour.

G$ said:
Half an hour sitting room temp, usually. That is not much time to change anything on large cuts, and about how long it takes me to get the pit ready if I prepped some things earlier.

DITTO

TIM

For beef or pork, I usually get the meat out of the fridge at the same time I fire up the coals in the chimney, so by the time the smoker is up to temp, it's been out for 45 minutes or so. Chicken always makes me nervous (because of salmonella, not some terrible childhood barnyard experience) so I take it directly from fridge to BBQ.

Forum check...

Q-talk.

OK... I'll be good. :-D

I usually let the meat sit out for a while (30-60 minutes). It's not room temp, but it's not right out of the cooler, either.

G$ said:

yeah, .........what he said..

need another option. something like ... "dont really care.. "

I usually allow it say 30 mins to get to room temperature before putting the meat on the grill .

I remove my meat from the frig. light cools. when smoker reaches temp. in goes the meat. usually about 45 min. +/-10 min.

For smoking it goes straight from the fridge to the smoker. When gilling, I let it come to room temp.

It all depends on how the morning goes. If it sits out, great. If it's straight from the fridge/cooler, great. If I'm actually getting to smoke then it's great.

There is a theory that says you need to start your Prime Rib Roasts at room temp. I never have though and have never been disappointed.

Room temp for food that's going in the smoker. I put chicken pieces under my arm pit, but nothing else will fit with a shirt on.

for a brisket I go straight from the cooler to the pit. Accepting the theory that meat stops taking on smoke, and developing a smoke ring in the neighborhood of 140 degrees I'm trying to increase the amount of time for that process to work. For an ideal cook I'll also cook at a little lower temp than some folks. I'm usually cooking with oak for heat, and pecan for flavor. There are probably about as many different methods, as there are cooks though.

i have several theories about this stuff.

For smoking/BBQ.
setting aside the meat stops absorbing smoke at 140 theory.... Cold meat still takes longer to cook and to get to whatever target temp, thus the colder the meat, the longer smoke time, more smoke, more smoky flavor etc.. Jut my theory... your milage may vary..

For grilling, a very cold steak over high heat, the outside will char and cook heavier and the inside will stay more rare. If my goal is charred outside, rare to med-rare inside. I put it on right out of the fridge, if i want an even cook throughout, i let it warm up, sometimes will even set it in a ziplock in warm water to bring the temp up a little before grilling.

Sidebar:

KCquer had 2 cool tricks, 1 - he used to put frozen steaks in the smoker to defrost, then when they defrosted thru, put them on the grill.

or, while he was cooking other stuff, he would put steaks in the smoker for a little while, get them some smoke and then freeze them while still raw pretty. Take them out and grill them when needed and they had some smoke inside them.

I forgot about E's frozen smoking trick - thanks for bringing that up, Pooh.

jt said:
I forgot about E's frozen smoking trick - thanks for bringing that up, Pooh.

Yeah, I learned those two tricks form reading KC's posts here too. Do them all the time now.

Back