Smoked RedFish or Speckled Trout?

xjcrazy

Knows what a fatty is.
Went down to Dularge, La last weekend with a bud of mine and had a hell of a time. Almost limited out on redfish and trout. I was getting my Bandera ready to smoke a few butts and ribs this morning and started to think about that fish in the freezer, wish I had thought to thaw some out the night before and give it a shot on the smoker.

Anybody ever tried redfish or trout on the smoker and what would you use to season it?

I smoke redfish on the half shell all the time. It's pretty dang tasty as well. I usually get some Emeril's Essence and sprinkle on top of fish, then add some lemon pepper, garlic and brown sugar to the top of it. I make a little foil boat to put it in and then thin slice a half stick of butter and put butter slices on top of the filet. It's the best redfish i have had. If you want to add a bit more excitement to that then after the emeril's essence, put a light coating of cream cheese on top and then add another layer of emerils, lemon pepper and brown sugar. Then add the butter on top. Cook until the fish is flaky in the middle. Usually about an hour around 250 for me.

I love the way the rub and the brown sugar work together for tasty greatness. The cream cheese, though, takes things to the heavenly level.

I also smoke trout but usually use a lime, lemon pepper and emerils essence or some garlic salt and cayanne for that.

Back