Using margarine/butter while wrapping ribs?

DeepElemCue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have seen plenty of folks using margarine or butter when they are wrapping their ribs after the smoke. I am tempted to give it a shot but I am a little nervous that it may form some kind of crust on them. Do you all do this?

I have not had any crust form on my ribs when using butter when wrapping, but I cook at lower temps. Not sure what the hot and fast method would do.

I'm assuming you want to do this in competition since you posted under the competition forum. If that's the case, be sure to practice with this method first.

Yeah I was considering using it this weekend in a small event. I don't do high heat on my ribs ever, but I was thinking of giving the butter a shot. Maybe I'll do some experiments in my backyard lab first before I try it in a comp.

I end of with a crust on ribs with or without margarine/butter, but then my scores reflect that. I have a terrible habit of cooking too long. I have tasted other teams ribs that were cooked "correctly" with margarine and they were great.

So, no, I don't think is has an impact on the ribs being crusty.

wallace

I have just been throwing a bit of apple juice in when I foil, but I see all these guys on the circuit putting all sorts of other things in the foil. Jellies, bacon fat, butter, peanut butter, italian dressing etc. Figured I was doing something wrong.

In my opinion butter has no place on ribs but hundred of teams do it so what the phark do I know. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the Q

Yeah butter just doesn't seem like it goes, but I get the whole mouth feel thing. I like the idea of bacon grease but then again I cover my cereal in that so.....

If you use Brown Sugar as a bed on the foil when you wrap, the squeezable butter on the Brown Sugar acts the moisture in the glaze that bins it together and to your ribs.

Now I'm hungry. I am going to have to give it a test run I think. Maybe add a splash of Dr Pepper for good measure

Less moisture you can get away with the better in my experience. Ribs hold their own. JMHO.

Just remember all that sheet goes in the trash can looooong before turnins. Might wanna try it on a practice. Just sayin.

We use Parkay butter, brown sugar, honey, and a couple spritzes of apple juice and I've found it gives the 1 bite a velvety smoothness that the judges love....just my .02

Margarine on any food is downright disgusting. It is NOT food.

Butter the ribs? What are you guys CRAZY. Just to win a prize you screw with the food and add all "kinds of stuff in the foil".

I guess since I don't foil I don't understand.

Last edited:
I've found a crust or jerky like effect to my ribs when I foil with brown sugar and temps over 375. The brown sugar basically turns to like caramel and makes the outer top crown of the ribs real tough. I find if a keep the top of the ribs up during foil and watch my temps, I have better results.

I also use margarine, but not sure if it is better than butter or not. Started with marg and have tried enough with butter to tell difference.

Just to win a prize you screw with the food and add all "kinds of stuff in the foil".

Heck ya. Don't even ask what we do to the chicken. :becky: Most competition BBQ is pretty much screwed around with in a big way.

Yeah I was considering using it this weekend in a small event. I don't do high heat on my ribs ever, but I was thinking of giving the butter a shot. Maybe I'll do some experiments in my backyard lab first before I try it in a comp.

yes, give something new a try at a contest... said no one ever... :razz:

Margarine on any food is downright disgusting. It is NOT food.

Butter the ribs? What are you guys CRAZY. Just to win a prize you screw with the food and add all "kinds of stuff in the foil".

I guess since I don't foil I don't understand.

I guess you've won lots of awards in ribs by not foiling or screwing around with stuff.

Back