Information On Pork and Meat Prices.

leanza

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Department of Agriculture has said that retail beef prices hit $4.25 a pound in January. This is up 10% from a year ago. Six months ago we were paying $4.01 a pound.

Pork looks like we are paying $3.24 a pound. Last January 2010, we were paying $2.87lb. Six months ago we were paying $3.23lb.

Here is a link to the data.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/MeatPriceSpreads/

All I can say is, I went out and bought a pork butt and 2 racks of spares last night and the prices were up considerably. I have read that it has to do with the stupid idea of burning food in a hungry world for fuel as in the government sponsored Ethanol.

in my usual store pork butt is $1.89/lb and brisket is on sale for $2.49/lb this week.

i better stock up!:shocked:

using corn for ethanol is having an impact on pork, beef, and poultry prices. It's also the reason I'm now paying over $3.50 a gallon for regular gas right now, here in California.

I am in the meat business and were told we can expect at least a 15% increase on pork and beef prices this year as a minimum. Also as mentioned, corn is expected to have a 75% increase this year due to the ethanol demand as mentioned. Farmers are going where the money is and it is not in feed and grain. At this point most corn will go to ethanol. So feed prices will be at a premium and be passed on to the consumer. Also China and Korea are buying huge amounts of our pork at top dollar, thus driving up our pork prices.

Just in from Market, looked at a rack of Pork Spare Ribs.....$3.00 a lb.....$31.50 for the rack......Nope...doing without......
Outrageous!!!!!!

When corn is @ $7.00bu(as it is right now) it should be a crime to make it into ethanol, and here on the east coast ethanol manufacturing is down. Corn yields were down considerably in the Midwest this past fall, thus creating a shortage in grain.

using corn for ethanol is having an impact on pork, beef, and poultry prices. It's also the reason I'm now paying over $3.50 a gallon for regular gas right now, here in California.
I dunno Tom, I think the reason you are paying $3.50 a gallon for gas is that you live in CA.

I am sure the prices for meat and vegetables are all going to go up, everything is going to go up due to fuel costs as well.

I've also heard that a few of those fat cat bankers back East have received special dispensation from a govt office that heretofore kept them from speculating on "futures" and it is THAT that has driven food prices (world wide) up!

At least, that's what Dillon Ratigan reported. Who knew!

Just in from Market, looked at a rack of Pork Spare Ribs.....$3.00 a lb.....$31.50 for the rack......Nope...doing without......
Outrageous!!!!!!
That's highway robbery I tell ya...I would have passed too.

I dunno Tom, I think the reason you are paying $3.50 a gallon for gas is that you live in CA.

I am sure the prices for meat and vegetables are all going to go up, everything is going to go up due to fuel costs as well.
I am hearing at least $5/gal by the summer down here...and we'll all pay it while grabbing our ankles.

Just purchased a 8.87 lb. Excel brand pork butt last night @ $1.59/lb. which is up from the usual $1.29/lb. On the UDS as we speak. YUM, YUM! Fuel is @ $2.96/gal.

The reason corn prices are up so much is that we had a poor harvest last year. Throw in non commercial investors speculating on the options and it drives the cost up. South Korea had a major F&M outbreak and is buying more pork. Beef herds are at all time lows and with good export demand is making it high priced. Anyone that farms or raises livestock has felt the full impact of the epa and state epa's on their operations. Many have just quit the industry rather than put up with the bs.

California has unique additive requirements that only CA refineries can accommodate. This limits supply to CA refineries and keeps prices high.

Glad to see this post. Just last weekend I unfortunately resigned myself to the fact that my brisket making days are over for the time being. About 18 months ago I was paying $1.56/lb. at Sam's for brisket. Up to $2.19 and have seen higher elsewhere. Doesn't sound like much but the problem with brisket (cryo packers) is the size. A decent sized packer is gonna run you $30-$40. Saw one at Albertson's at $55!! Can't justify that kind of money for a couple meals for a family. Almost half our grocery budget for the week. Sad, sad day.

Get ready. ALL things food are going up and will continue to climb. You can thank the Food Safety Bill that got passed over the winter and corn prices increasing.

Food prices in general are expected to climb a lot more than they already have.

Add on the inflation that is sure to come and we're all going to be paying out the nose!

The great thing is that they will find an equivalent item for substitution in the Basket of Goods in order to make the inflation rate under 2%. I think the original basket featured 2lb-porterhouse steaks, but after all these years and substitutions, the equivalent item is now a tin of generic catfood. :heh:

FYI: just got back from BJ's (like Costco). Was planning on doing a brisket, but the cost was $3.29/lb. Boston butt was $1.69/lb, chuckle was $2.59/lb. Chuckle and butt made it into the cart. :clap2:

Getting pricey to do que. I'm still gonna do it though!! :becky:

Bruce

Cattle on feed are down, marginal corn harvest last year, strong demand from our trading partners. Thus all meats are up. Remember with the dropping dollar goods will look cheap to others but more expensive to us. That's the easy way for the govt to pay off our bonds.

Location, location, location

Glad to see this post. Just last weekend I unfortunately resigned myself to the fact that my brisket making days are over for the time being. About 18 months ago I was paying $1.56/lb. at Sam's for brisket. Up to $2.19 and have seen higher elsewhere. Doesn't sound like much but the problem with brisket (cryo packers) is the size. A decent sized packer is gonna run you $30-$40. Saw one at Albertson's at $55!! Can't justify that kind of money for a couple meals for a family. Almost half our grocery budget for the week. Sad, sad day.

I guess it's all relative. In our area, Sam's doesn't carry full packers, just flats at approx $4.50 per pound. Same goes for the grocery stores I've checked. I found out that one local store uses brisket to make their ground beef, so I tried ordering 15 lbs of ground beef, hold the grinder. No dice, but did get a laugh out of the Dept mgr and compliments for the creative thinking. We had a local grocery run choice at $2.29 a pound a couple months back and several of us jumped at it. Thing of it is, though, you're right. At these prices, briskets cooks are few and far between.

Back