Hatch vs Pueblo Green Chile

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chile grown near Hatch NM are easy to obtain with about a months worth of local roasting. IMHO Chile grown near Pueblo CO are meatier and more consistent. I have to drive 4.5 hours one way to fetch Pueblo, or happen to be returning from a TroutBum Trip. Next T-B Trip is scheduled mid August that takes me within 5 miles of Pueblo Green Chile grows.
I shall take a cooler.

https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-colorado/summers-heat-means-chile-season-is-coming

Last edited:
Yes!

There are definite differences!

In my experience Pueblo or Mosco chile has a thicker skin as well as thicker flesh. It is very tasty, with some fruit and with the heat.

In contrast, Hatch or my favorite Los Lunas green chile has thinner skin with more fruit with the heat.

The thinner skin leads to some roadside roasters to try to blast the skin off.

My preference is to roast at home over charcoal until blistered and then into a covered bowl so the skin separates, and then peeling is simple as the skin is essentially intact and easy to remove. This also prevents over cooking the flesh that can happen at roadside roasters.

I pretty much waited until end of season last year for Hatch and handpicked the red orange yellowing. This allowed me to select the larger meatier. The color is fantastic. I paid a little more doing it this way and roasting my own but was worth it.

Some summers we get chile vendors from the Hatch Valley, and our two farmers markets each week attract produce growers from Northern Colorado and the Western Slope. I've had some variants that were right up there with the Hatch chilies, but hands down the conditions in the Hatch Valley are perfect and worth a bit more to get the real deal.

The same goes for Vidaila onions, the Wala Wala's, the Texas 1015's... I like them all. The local Shrine Club brings in a couple of semi's with Vidaila onions each year, so getting them fresh and supporting the various Shriner's Children's Hospitals is a double bonus.

While researching what a Pueblo Slopper was, I ran across several articles that seem to indicate there has been an ongoing debate for quite some time now as to which green chile is better. The hatch or the pueblo, kind of like the debate as to who has the best Philly cheesesteak.

From the articles I've read, hatch chiles are much more consistent in the heat level. pueblos can vary quite a bit, even with chiles from the same plant.

Love me some Pueblo Chiles! That's great they will be ready to go in a few weeks. I have some left in the freezer from last year, better make a batch of green chile and use them up so I can restock next month. Thanks for the reminder 16Adams!

Good news is that they haven't cancelled the Pueblo Chile fest yet, I doubt they will have it though.

Love me some Pueblo Chiles! That's great they will be ready to go in a few weeks. I have some left in the freezer from last year, better make a batch of green chile and use them up so I can restock next month. Thanks for the reminder 16Adams!

Good news is that they haven't cancelled the Pueblo Chile fest yet, I doubt they will have it though.

Hatch was canceled ... :sad: Looks like I'll miss Sparky's this year too.

If Pueblo is still on, I might need to make a road trip there.

Blasphemer!

After living for years in CO Springs, I can say I've sampled plenty of both. Hatch rules.

:wink:

There is an area in Northern Utah just west of Hill Air force base (Syracuse Utah) where they grow green chilies along the great Salt Lake, they are in my humble opinion the best I have eaten. Not sure the farms are still there.

I have had green chilies from Mexico, California, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Texas and many other places. I do agree hot days, cool nights and elevation make for great green chilies. With that said if I have a need for green chilies I will gladly eat them from anywhere.

I'm a hatch chili fan. Get a bushel of milds and mediums every year. Half roasted and half raw/fresh. Live west of Denver, so in season, they are EVERYWHERE.
That said, my favorite place for green chili uses Pueblo chilies. Guess I need to expand my options and get a bigger freezer.

Yes!

There are definite differences!

In my experience Pueblo or Mosco chile has a thicker skin as well as thicker flesh. It is very tasty, with some fruit and with the heat.

In contrast, Hatch or my favorite Los Lunas green chile has thinner skin with more fruit with the heat.

The thinner skin leads to some roadside roasters to try to blast the skin off.

My preference is to roast at home over charcoal until blistered and then into a covered bowl so the skin separates, and then peeling is simple as the skin is essentially intact and easy to remove. This also prevents over cooking the flesh that can happen at roadside roasters.

And this
https://www.coloradocountrylife.coop/the-heart-of-pueblo-chile/

I grow a few hundred peppers each year. Mainly Big Jim, Anaheim, Colorado, Poblano plus Serrano and japs (for salsa & smoke drying).

I think I'll grow some Mosco's next year for char roasting.

I use a propane weed burner and a big pot a few dozen at a time and store them frozen.

IMO, the thick skinned varieties are really not all that great for anything else besides roasting.

PS....here is a link to my smoke-dried pepper album: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=323

Back