First try at Beef Short Ribs

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Finally got some beef short rib planks this last weekend. Rubbed them with SPOG and a little Slap Ya Mama and put them into a vacuum seal bag with a couple shots of W sauce. Finally getting a chance to throw the first rack on the smoker.

She's humming along at 270* with KBB and a couple small chunks each of pecan and mesquite. Been on since about 3 pm, meant to get them on at 1 pm, but work got in the way of real life. Guess it will be a late dinner tonight, but I am thinking it will be worth it.

Oh, and his little brother is in the freezer for some time in the future...

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 218
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 218
Mmm...shorties are great. They can be a little fatty so take your time rendering all that out but you'll love them in the end!

You are gonna love 'em! Don't remove them until the probe like butta!

Those are nice. Excellent eating! Looking forward to the finish. :thumb::thumb:

Looks good - gonna take awhile.
Last time I did the whole rack, and learned
to slice them individually, so more rub goes
in between the ribs.
Plus they cook faster separate.
I did mine at 225, yours should go better at 270.
Let us see the end results.

check out a post by Fatty "need opinion on beef ribs" I started it 2 weeks ago great info in there...
The consensus is slow and low...really i find they are done when a probe slides in like butter...
good luck!

Thanks, I just reread your thread Fatty. Only thing you have me worried about is length of time these are going to take. Might be a midnight meal.

:shock:

8 or 9 hours? Nah...Been closer to 5 hours for me.

EDIT: With a 275-300°F cook temp.

length of time these are going to take. Might be a midnight meal.
Mine took 9 hours whole, 6 or so when I cut up the 2nd half.
But I was at 225 - maybe cut the whole thing in half? Re-Season?
That thing is still firm.
I hate to 2nd guess anyone's cook, sorry.
If it's any consolation Meathead says to cut into individual ribs.
(amazingribs.com)

Thanks, I just reread your thread Fatty. Only thing you have me worried about is length of time these are going to take. Might be a midnight meal.

:shock:

For sure they will take a while, which is why I said be patient rendering out all the fat. Like fatty said, cut them into individual bones and it will decrease the cooking time a little bit.

I'm gonna let them run and just keep my temps above 275* Had a decent size lunch and the wife just had a snack. We can wait it out.

Thanks for the advice though...

Just went thru Fatty's thread, and at 225 it's one game, at 275 - 325 it's another.
Good luck, don't peek! And let us see the results!

Thanks Billy. They looked a little thin compared to some of the monsters others have posted. I peeled the membrane off the back, but I didn't trim any fat. We like a little fat with out beef...

THESE THINGS WILL GROW. I have no idea how or why, but will pull back from the bone and get thicker. Pretty cool.

I agree, depending on temp and thickness of meat...its anywhere form 5-8 hours even 9...but again dont rush them...they will be tastey!...I did not cut them, I left them in 2s and 3s, I like them that way...some have said 1s are good more rub etc, some say 2s and whole rack not to dry them out...its your choice...i think it has alot to do on temp and equipment if you dry something out...

Thanks Billy. They looked a little thin compared to some of the monsters others have posted. I peeled the membrane off the back, but I didn't trim any fat. We like a little fat with out beef...

Some of those monsters have about 1/2 inch of inedible fat (for me to call anything inedible is saying something) between the layers of meat plus a fat cap on top.

Back