Pastrami & Butts

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Yesterday I smoked a pastrami and 2 butts on the drum. I had mixed results. The pastrami turned outvery tender and juicy but next time I will cut back on the pepper a little bit.

The buuts are where the problems came in. This is the first time I've cooked butts on the drum. I put them on about 8:00 am. The smoker held temps between 225 and 240 all day. The dang things just didn't want to cook. Finally after about 9 hours I foiled. I let them go another 2 1/2 hours. One was at 180, the other at 171. The drum was running out of gas after over 12 hours of cooking, so I moved them to the oven to finish them off. Took them up to 200 as normal. Parts were tender and juicy, but other parts were dry tough and stringy. I don't know if it's because they took soooo long to cook or something else. On the Char Griller they always turn out fantastic and cook in a lot less time. I thought one of the advantages to a drum was quicker cook time due to direct heat.

Here's the pron anyway....

pastrami.jpg

butt.jpg

I put two butts on my drum Friday night at 8 - cooked at 210 - 235 all night. Pullled them off at about 3:30 Saturday. 1 was 8lbs the other was 9lbs. They're done when they're done.

Some butts are just stubborn that way!! Looks good though.

Great looking pastrami!!!
Made me pull a bag from the freezer---need a sandwich this afternoon :lol:

TIM

Great looking pastrami!!!
Made me pull a bag from the freezer---need a sandwich this afternoon :lol:

TIM

Steamed up some for breakfast. Added a little italian dressing, some melted provolone, mayo and spicy mustard on toasted bread. MMM MMM good.

Back