Super WSM

michiana mark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Stopped in at the local Weber dealer today, got to talking about WSM. He says they have revised the legs on the standard one. Also they are going to market a 22.5" version. A Weber UDS, probably pretty pricey.

Will the Big WSM rumor ever die?

I think this is why we have the "no pictures...didn't happen (doesn't exist) rule!

Salesman is full of dodo

Attachments

• memento.jpg
    memento.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 478
There's been rumors about the super WSM ever since I got one. I'll believe it when I see it.

So simple, yet so difficult.

I'd guess that Weber's research has shown that developing a 22.5" bullet will either or both:
- not sell for the price they need to market to get the same mark up as the 18.5"
- cut sales of the 18.5" bullet that it drops the overall profit margin of their smokers

Let's see what the rack space difference would be between the two:
To get the area of a circle take the radius squared and multiply by 3.14.
18.5" - 9.25x9.25x3.14x2=537.33 sq inches
22.5" - 11.25x11.25x3.14x2=794.81 sq inches

That's 257.48 more sq inches of rack space - nearly one more full rack compared to the current 18.5" bullet. It seems as if Weber's suggested retail price for the bullet is $249, which is 46 cents per sq inch. Using the same price per sq inch, would Q'ers be willing to spend $365 retail for the larger model? I don't know, but if so, it may cut into Q'ers buying only one rather than two bullets which could still drop the overall profit margin.

How about a 25" diameter Super Bullet? :biggrin: That's over 980 sq inches on two racks! :eek:

With the BOOM is bbq and outdoor cooking, it really amazes me that they don't seem interested in this market. I love the WSM, and would buy a bigger one if it was on the market.

With the BOOM is bbq and outdoor cooking, it really amazes me that they don't seem interested in this market. I love the WSM, and would buy a bigger one if it was on the market.

Wait no longer folks...the "Big Green Drum" (WSM Clone) is in the works and can be yours for the low low price of...however much you want to spend to build it yourself!:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39704

I'd guess that Weber's research has shown that developing a 22.5" bullet will either or both:
- not sell for the price they need to market to get the same mark up as the 18.5"
- cut sales of the 18.5" bullet that it drops the overall profit margin of their smokers

That's 257.48 more sq inches of rack space - nearly one more full rack compared to the current 18.5" bullet. It seems as if Weber's suggested retail price for the bullet is $249, which is 46 cents per sq inch. Using the same price per sq inch, would Q'ers be willing to spend $365 retail for the larger model? I don't know, but if so, it may cut into Q'ers buying only one rather than two bullets which could still drop the overall profit margin.

How about a 25" diameter Super Bullet? :biggrin: That's over 980 sq inches on two racks! :eek:

You make a lot of sense on this one.

What kind of coffee you have this morning:shock::biggrin:

HUH?....Bobby can you throw some numbers together on the UCLA/ Western Kentucky game tonight so I know whether to take the over or under?

The Pro Q Excel 20 seems to be the best bet for now. A 20" WSM clone with upgrades. They also sell a WSM stacker unit that will add another portion to an existing WSM. They will be available by May 1st, I think. A store in PA called Freds Music & BBQ will be the distributor I believe.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Leave it up to a marketing guy to come up with this...:grin:

I dont expect Weber ever to remodel the WSM. They are just too busy kissing their own butts.

Anyway, in about 4 weeks the first units of the probbq excel 20 should arrive and i expect them to be a very good, if not better alternative to the WSM.

They have 20" grate diameter, a nice charcoal basket, temperature gauge and use the stackers, so you can use it as a small kettle grill or smoker with up to 4 grates.

excel%203.png

Excelwith3.jpg

Sidebyside.jpg

http://www.probbq.co.uk/Excel.html

HUH?....Bobby can you throw some numbers together on the UCLA/ Western Kentucky game tonight so I know whether to take the over or under?

No guarantees, but find out what UCLAs average score is and what they average giving up a game against tournament qualifying teams. Do the same for the Hilltoppers. Add the 4 numbers up and divide by 2.

If that amount is over the over/under score, take the over
If that amount is under the over/under score, then take the under

Then do this for all the remaining hoops games (NIT and NCAA) and let me know the percentage of games it worked so I can see if this is a good idea for me to use this formula next year. :biggrin:

The Pro Q Excel 20 seems to be the best bet for now. A 20" WSM clone with upgrades. They also sell a WSM stacker unit that will add another portion to an existing WSM. They will be available by May 1st, I think. A store in PA called Freds Music & BBQ will be the distributor I believe.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Where is our Brother Ian Mack? He's the designer of this thing. I just checked out the website and it looks real nice.

Ian did a whole suckling pig on one in a previous post.

I dont expect Weber ever to remodel the WSM. They are just too busy kissing their own butts.

I really don't think it's a matter of them not taking advantage of the market, I think it's more of a lack of demand/canabilizing their current 18.5" sales. UDS's are no secret to those wishing for a larger bullet. Until the 55 gallon barrel disappears, I don't think the market demand is there.

Back