Experience level.

How long have you been making REAL BBQ

• Total voters

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Just curious to know the range we have among us. How long have you been at our craft.

Notice he put in "real BBQ". That nocked me down a little. I use to think I was actually Q'ing.:roll:

thillin said:
Notice he put in "real BBQ". That nocked me down a little. I use to think I was actually Q'ing.:roll:

yup.. i knew someone would see that.. I mean REAL BBQ.. not Grilling.. No, hot dogs on long forks dont count, neither does burning bugs with magnifying glasses and s'mores definately dont count. :mrgreen:

My pop smoked meat for as long as I remember. He had a homemade smoker made from two 55 gallon drums. It used to drive my mom crazy during the summer becaused he Qued almost every weekend and she wanted a change of pace. I never got tired of smoked ribs, fish or beef. I thought I ate like a king. I didn't get my own real smoker until after my wife and I bought our first home. Before then it was indirect grilling using wood chips for smoke on a weber kettle grill.

Actually been smoking food since the bullet smokers first appeared on the scene here. What’s that 25 to 30 years ago, and it was only an occasional thing. Went by the directions, you know, soaking wood chips etc. Did a few whole pigs (shoats) in pits in the ground. So, I said 3 to 5 years, cause it’s been in the last 5 years, that I’ve learned what “GOOD Q” is all about.

Early 'que memories

Had my first chance to "bbq" when my downstairs neighbor lent me his weber kettle that was abandoned in the backyard. I had a huge group of co-workers coming for a 4th of July party and ordered 6 racks of spares w/ no idea how to prep or cook them.

I looked up a few tips (discovered some new online bbq forums) and got up at the crack of dawn on the day of for the task. I was begged and urged to take shortcuts. The bag of charcoal he gave me had been out in the yard and wouldn't light-- I was once again begged to just bake the ribs, but being typically stubborn, I scoured brooklyn for charcoal, and banked my coals to nurture the fire.

In retrospect, they were edible (super tender)-- I made a sweet-chipotle glaze and babied them ribs for about 8 hours. The beer and burgers were more popular, though, but people were blown away by the effort for the ribs and swore they would never work that hard for food. Meanwhile, I was thinking "this is for me!" :lol:

I have been cooking over a wood fire/coals for probably 40 years while scouting, camping, grilling, etc., but only Q'ing for the last year.

thillin said:

Ditto mod. Prior to joining this group, i was just playing around with fire.

This is kinda tuff to answer. I have completely worn out several WSM's
sense the early 80’s. Brisket, ribs and smoked chicken mostly. I have always done pretty well in the past. Dec 2006 I bought my Bandera and found this site. I have honestly learned a ton since January. Neighbors ask on Saturday if they see me setting up the smoker “got any room left on that thing”? I got the years covered. Expert or pro naaaaa!

Grumpy's Q said:
This is kinda tuff to answer. .... I got the years covered. Expert or pro naaaaa!

I have to agree with you there.... not sure I like the title, but the years are covered.

We were cooking in contests before there was a KCBS to sanction them :tongue:

Thank God for all this good, clean living!!!

The REAL BBQ part makes me a beginner although I have been grilling for around 40 years. Not counting a couple of briskets I smoked over the last 10 years though. Hey, it was in a cheap $40 smoker, but it was a smoker at least!

http://usera.imagecave.com/kickassbbq/me.jpg
Here is a pic of me in 1985 after I got out of prison. I am no expert or a pro or anything else, either. I just been Qin' fer about 20 years and don't know Jack about nuttin', but I have a lot of fun. Some people say my BBq is edible or eatable, I don't know which. I don't care if people even eat it. I am still gonna BBQ, cause I can and I like SMOKE and FAR!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!
ed

i have been indirect bbq'ing, and coming out with pretty good results, for the past ten years on a jenn air gas grill with one side off and a tray of chips or chunks on the lit side. i have only purchased a wsm over the last year.
phil

Hmmm...I'm a novice. Seems right to me only been doing real Q since I got here. I think I have an anniversary coming up...

I've been around barbecue as long I can remember, and I'm 50. My parents and their parents all had pits. It took the first 25 years just to learn how to be patient. It got a little easier once I figured that out.

Back