Bad Sportsmanship or Ignorant?????????

BABYGOTBUTT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We were in the middle of cutting a brisket and boxing the meat with about 2 min to turn-in. Guy walks right up to me and starts asking all sorts of questions. Doesn't wait for an answer just starts asking questions. I POLITELY told him I was busy and could not talk thinking he was one of the many people that attended the DC BBQ Battle this past weekend. He then says, "okay, yeah, I just turn our brisket in". Are you kidding me? wondering if anybody else has had another team member come up to you and start talking BBQ as you are getting a box together during the last minutes?

Possibly a half-asleep runner, or a cook with no sleep... Someone obviously not thinking, and not paying any attention whatsoever.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't see the box and were just wanting to chat post turn-ins and see how things went. After the last turn-in I know we usually check-in with some of our fellow teams. That said I'm always careful to make sure they are done first :grin:.

There are certainly ignorant jerks out there. I've had it happen to me. First thing I ever ask a team if it's in the window is "Are you finished with your turn in?"

dmp

stangers wandering in, yes. a fellow competitor, no.

as far as i'm concerned, other than a good luck while walking by, no talky between like 11A and 1:35P.

I vote for ignorant but probably because he just doesn't know better. Most of us here know the rules but many don't. The are also a lot of folks that are so focused on themselves they don't take others into consideration.:tsk:

Maybe when he said "we"... Maybe he was just a guest and NOT actually a official team member.

But still either way I would have been upset as rightfully you should have been also.

wondering if anybody else has had another team member come up to you and start talking BBQ as you are getting a box together during the last minutes?

I had this happen to me two weeks ago, and to beat all it was my ex team member! We had done this comp together for five years in a row - fully sponsored by my company - but I didn't ask him to help this time because this was his standard MO at comps; no focus on winning, just socializing. :tsk:

We had a lady from the Chamber of Commerce come in our sport while we were working on our Rib turn and when we told her that we were busy and could not talk. She kept talking and finally after telling her again we were busy and we are in the middle of turn ins she got pissed and mumbled something and walked away. We were not trying to be jerks but we were busy. It was a small town contest and I get they want to promote their town but not during turn ins!

I tend to agree with Lake Dogs that it was probably a runner that didn't know any better. I bring friends with me to comps to help out with things like running, and some of them probably wouldn't know better and are just being social. That being said, I have let them know that turn in times isn't the time for that.

I tend to agree with Lake Dogs that it was probably a runner that didn't know any better. I bring friends with me to comps to help out with things like running, and some of them probably wouldn't know better and are just being social. That being said, I have let them know that turn in times isn't the time for that.

I'll go with just being ignorant.

I finally bought walls for my canopy to keep this from happening if my spot is in a high traffic place.

I talk to people all the time while I am boxing, its not a big deal to me. I understand that some people what their privacy and concentration. You should respect that of other teams though. I think he was a friendly uneducated competitor thats all, I am sure there was no harm intended.

Yelling "F-You" and "your mother!" doesn't count as talking to people all the time.

Yelling "F-You" and "your mother!" doesn't count as talking to people all the time.

So you did hear me during our rib turn in on Saturday?!

I didn't realize my voice carried that far - Wow. :biggrin1: Of course I was actually yelling something closer to "This is F***ed", and "We're F****ed" - with Kevin telling me to keep it down, there were kids and Grandmothers walking by...

(Sorry - couldn't help myself - hijack off)

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
I think it was pretty ignorant on your part. A fellow cook just making small talk tries to be friendly and probably could have helped you with your box and you blow him off like he's some spectator. I mean is it his fault your running late and are only slicing your meat with 2 min on the clock. Maybe if you where cool about it he could have given you a hand.

I think it was pretty ignorant on your part. A fellow cook just making small talk tries to be friendly and probably could have helped you with your box and you blow him off like he's some spectator. I mean is it his fault your running late and are only slicing your meat with 2 min on the clock. Maybe if you where cool about it he could have given you a hand.

Uh no.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't see the box and were just wanting to chat post turn-ins and see how things went. After the last turn-in I know we usually check-in with some of our fellow teams.

Usually I would agree with you, but this contest was different than most. On saturday the KCBS turn-ins were chicken and brisket. But there were two turn-ins AFTER brisket (lamb and potato salad). So, I really have to question the reasoning for stopping at another teams site at that time.

Huh? During turn in's I tend to get testy if another team comes into my site to shoot the breeze while I'm hunched over my box or meat. That is not the time. This is a competition, not a backyard BBQ where we're all chilling out drinking margaritas and eating seven layer dip. That's Friday night. The same could be said for when a team is prepping their meat or "working". Many teams spend countless hours and untold amounts of money to get their processes, techniques, tricks, box presentations, seasonings and sauces exactly where they want them. People should respect that even though they may have zero intention of shigging.

Back