Pulled Pork Containers

What size container is roughly 1lb. of pulled pork?

I use the styrofoam Hoagie containers, which hold about one pound. But I always weigh the product to be sure. Don't want to short the customer.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)
P.S. A nonpartitioned styro , dinner sized, will hold 2 lbs quite nicely.

I also weigh to be sure correct amount is given then put it in a 12 oz soup to go cup - 16 oz will also work if you do not want to pack it tight.

I have been using the regular 8x8 hinged foam containers, weighing each one. I am loking for a different container to use, like mentioned above. I tried some 16oz styro cups, and was hard pressed to get more than 14 ounces inside. Maybe I need to play with it more.

Glad or Ziplock make a square throw container that holds 1 lb. nicely. You can either use them again or toss them.

I use a Gordon Food Service plastic container for half pounds, pounds and two pounds. If your product is sauced, they work very well. If it is naked, they are real full. all three sizes use the same lid, are pretty cheap and you can use in a microwave or freeze in these containers. If you are using for liquids, they are 8 oz, 16 oz and 32 oz sizes. I hope this helps. Also, I use 5# sour cream containers for the same amount of pulled pork.

I'm just wondering what you guy's get for one pound of pulled pork?

I get $10/lb for pork ($12/lb for brisket & $14/lb for smoked turkey). Sell 8oz containers of sauce for $6. We also offer free 2 oz sampler containers of sauce. Good way to get'em hooked.

16oz, pint sized containers will hold a pound of pork. If you have a very coarse product, you may have to pack it in there.

I am in north east Indiana. I get $6.99 a pound for pulled pork, sauced and $7.99 for "naked" pulled pork. I charge $14.99 for a pound of beef brisket and my costs are around $1.00 a pound for pork butts and select beef briskets, 6 pound average are $3.50 a pound. I consistantly loose about 40% weight during smoking. I sell sauces for $3.79 for 10 oz. bottle and the same for 8 oz. of rub. I try to stay around 25-30% cost. I hope this helps. I am in my second year of business. This has been a last mid-life change and I love it. It is much more work than I thought I'd be doing at 60, but the gov't has screwed my retirement plans and I'd rather be barbecuing than greeting at Wal-mart, which seem to be my two brightest options. Good luck .

I use the styrofoam Hoagie containers, which hold about one pound. But I always weigh the product to be sure. Don't want to short the customer.

Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)
P.S. A nonpartitioned styro , dinner sized, will hold 2 lbs quite nicely.

I also weigh to be sure correct amount is given then put it in a 12 oz soup to go cup - 16 oz will also work if you do not want to pack it tight.

If you are selling meat by the lb, you must weigh with a certified scale. Certified meaning with a stamp from the USDA. If you don't have one, you are selling by the lb illegally! You can sell by VOLUME, but otherwise will be on the hook for a good scale!

txscu,
where do you live? maybe at a packing plant, but not in a restaurant setting. ive never heard such a thing.......lol.
Do you sell by the lb at your restaurant? Can you be 100% certain your scale is correct?
Sorry, USDA is incorrect. Your State weights and measures does your certification. Now you've heard of it......LOL:rolleyes:

Here's the one for Nebraska.

Here's one for Colorado. (Your biz location)

And one for Texas.

If I were to squawk to someone about how you shortchange people because your 1 lb of brisket isn't a true pound, the good folks from your weights and measures division if your local dept of ag would come pay you a visit and probably convince you to get certified.

Back