Beer Brats

MrSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I grill a lot of johnsonville Beer Brats but was wondering about smoking them like the fatties. Any suggestions? :roll:

Yea, go for it just make sure they don't split. I pierce the skin first.

Only to keep them higher up in the chamber, or further away from your heat source.

Love a smoked brat.

First ones I left on way too long and ended up with Jerky. Throw on a few extra, then sacrafice one for the team and cut into it to guage whether done or not. Little harder to tell sometime different between "pink" raw and "pink" smoke ring.

Enjoy!

I would suggest cooking them in the cool spot. They will dry out faster than a fatty. May want to experiment and wrap one or two of them with bacon.

Use a meat thermometer, but I don't recall a done temp. Clean room syndrome. Anybody ?

Thats what i love about this site. Four answers in twenty minutes.My wife asked me if this all we do. I said yep lessen we is cooken. :lol:

Thats funny. Wife asked me Sunday if I needed to go to the hospital. There must be something wrong with you if you haven't been on with your group all weekend. :)

And Mr. Smoker, if you got any Jalepeno Kethcup, it kicks Brats up a notch.

Jalapeno Ketchup? Sounds like somethign I need. Never on a sausage or hotdog though. Bet it would be great on a burger and fries.

Speaking of fries, I just had a wierd thought. I wonder what would happen if you peeled some potatoes, smoked them, sliced them and fried them?

Any ideas?

brdbbq said:
Use a meat thermometer, but I don't recall a done temp. Clean room syndrome. Anybody ?

A minimum of 160*, but, being it is ground meat and has been exposed to more air and possible contaminates, I would suggest 165*-170*. Better to be safe than spend the day sitting on the sh!tter.

Don`t know if this is what you might be interested in, but. I take linked sausages and split the skins off of them and roll a pound to a pound and a half into a 'fatty'.

Better than the Jones family has ever done. Anduile, Intalian, etc, ...........

Cook`er up for about 3 hours and whalla!

xczar said:
Don`t know if this is what you might be interested in, but. I take linked sausages and split the skins off of them and roll a pound to a pound and a half into a 'fatty'.

Better than the Jones family has ever done. Anduile, Intalian, etc, ...........

Cook`er up for about 3 hours and whalla!
WOW,

Gotta try that!
KICKA** FATTIES :lol:

TIM

Bill, how can anyone from Chicago even mention ketchup and brat in the same sentence? Dogs and brats go with mustard.

I boiled some brats for the first time ever about 2 weeks ago. I used a Bobby Flay concoction except for a few ingredients that i didn't have on hand. I used warshtiner (sp?) beer and put onions and garlic on the bottom of the pot with a few seasonings. I didn't have ginger so i had to leave that out. Boiled the brats in the concoction and put them on the grill to get the grilled coloring. I didn't really notice a different flavor in the brats but the onions definitely had the flavor! So if you do boil brats be sure to include the onions on the bun so that you can get a good taste of the flavor that the brats are supposed to have.

Bill, how can anyone from Chicago even mention ketchup and brat in the same sentence? Dogs and brats go with mustard.
I'm a ketchup man. Mustard sucks.

Neil said:

Neil, thats a North Side thing. You must be a Cubs Fan

Ketchup is what we use round these parts.

Wow, ........ not nocking it (well I guess I am), but is what I`m to understand folks in the upper midwest put ketchup on the brats and dogs? I would have never thunk it? I`m a mustard man myself. There`s actully a mustard that sells in Sam`s Club called 'Beer and Brat Mustard' (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Hands down the BEST mustered I have ever ate. A small taste on a spoon will have your eyes water from the horseradish, but still has great spicy, brown mustard taste. It was so good I was compeled to contact the maker and praise their product. They were from MN if I recall.

Agree Greg, mustard does suck. I hate all those mustard based bbq sauces too.

I can tolerate a slight amount, like in DreamLand, but anything more and I pass.

You can bury the sauerkraut too. Worthless.

Back