The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Smokin' with Buckthorn and Black Walnut

Anybody every use Buckthorn for smokin'? I have lots of it growing in my yard and since it is considered a weed tree I've been cutting it down. I know the berries are considered poisonous or medicinal depending on who you talk to. The medicinal use is as a laxative, I'd hate smoke a batch of food and give everyone who ate it you know what

I also cut down a Black Walnut tree. Black Walnut also has a strange property. "The Black Walnut produces a substance that is toxic or "allelopathic" to other plants called juglone. It interferes with the healthy development of other plants causing wilting and yellowing of the foliage." from wikipedia. Would that make bad smoke? I have also heard that woodworkers or carvers might buy Black Walnut for a better price than I can buy smokin' wood.

Any thoughts, ideas or feed back will be appreciated.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

I'd most likely pass on the Buckthorn, but try burning some and see what the smoke smell like.
The Walnut, if the tree is big enough, can be worth some money. If you use it to smoke with, I would mix it in small quantities with oak or pecan. It is a very strong almost harsh flavor and too much will give the food a bitter taste. I have tried it and didn't care for it. JMHO
OSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've also heard that black walnut makes some peoples lips go numb.
I have a black walnut log in my woodshed that I am frankly afraid to chunk and try.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Any idea where I would find out how much the Black Walnut is worth? I did try a couple of google searches for specialty wood/lumber and didn't come up with anything promising.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciret View Post
Any idea where I would find out how much the Black Walnut is worth? I did try a couple of google searches for specialty wood/lumber and didn't come up with anything promising.
Black Walnut is a premium cabinet/furniture wood.
That said, the problem will be finding someone who will come and get a single tree. The sawmills USUALLY are interested only if you have a number of trees for them to harvest.
There are plenty of individuals who dabble in woodworking that may be interested. I would suggest you advertise in your local newspaper...
Also, the tannic acid in Black Walnut is very high, which would tend to give anything you would smoke with it an acrid, bitter, taste.
I would suggest you pass on using it as a smoking wood.
Thats my opinion, for what it's worth.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A woodturner would buy the tree from you in a heartbeat.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black walnut, buckthorn, walnut, wood