Fab-B and Meat Tenderizer Question

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This past weekend I Judged my first comp, and I was exposed to a lot of very different tastes/flavors most pleasing and some not so, besides the 4 meats I judged Salmon and sauce.
After the Awards ceremony I overheard some cooks talking about some of the comment cards they received and one exclaimed in response to a dry brisket comment, that he might try some Fab-B next time. I realize that some people use it, MSG or other tenderizers for the comp meats, but would you ever use it on anything you cook at home? Just curious?

Brian

I quit using it at comps. Scored second place last weekend. FAB B is not the key to moist brisket... not overcooking it is. Last year when I did use it, I never used it at home.

I use it at home, for catering and in competition.

I know Jeff does well in brisket without it and there are some others but I also know some very good brisket cooks that swear by it.

I don't use it at home, but I do use it in comps. I agree with Jeff on the key to cooking a moist brisket but I do think that it adds something to the overall finished product. I don't use it at home because its fairly expensive, at least to me, and I am lazy. I would suggest trying it yourself before you use it at a comp. My scores improved slightly when I started using it, but I will take whatever I can get.

Orderd some about two weeks ago and plan on giving it a side by side taste test. We'll see.........

Ok dumb question but thats why were here right?? What is Fab B and how do you use it??

Now that I think I know better how to use it, I'll try it at home. I'll probably do a side by side test, one with, one without.

Jordan, Fab B is an injectable mixture that puts beef flavor and phosphates in brisket. You can get Fab P and Fab C for pork and chicken, too. The phosphates are a tenderizer so much as an aid in retaining/sucking up moisture.

I'd tried Fab B lite before, but mixed it wrong or without enough lead time and hated it... But after Ray's class, I have changed my mind about trying it again.

Another question. Does MSG have any effect on the human heart? Like make you feel as though you are having a angina attack or????????? Not a good thing if the judge or judges are sent to the hospital with chest pains.

This is an injection, correct? What do you mix with it? I used (Fab B) it this weekend and did not place, but the taste was not bad at all.

Speaking of taste. Does Fab B have a taste? or do you just mix it with your injection recipe for the flavor.

I'm not sure how Fab B helps moisture in briskets. HoDeDo told me last year that he thinks it actually aids in drying the brisket out. I disagreed for awhile. Now I think I lean in that direction as well. That being said, I think it would be fine if you are careful with it. You gotta stay on top of what you're doing a bit more closely IMO.

Another question. Does MSG have any effect on the human heart? Like make you feel as though you are having a angina attack or????????? Not a good thing if the judge or judges are sent to the hospital with chest pains.

I've been using FAB for a few years now and I haven't heard of a single judge going to the hospital with chest pains. Give me a break !

For a starting point here--from the RoadMap--
--------------------

Fab Products
Many of us use the FAB line of products in our Que.
Here are some of the best historical threads.

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...&highlight=FAB

And here is the post by the "one and only"--Jim Minion:

" The injection that is being used by many out there now days is more than a flavor thing. When the animal is slaughtered and goes into rigor it takes the natural phosphates out of the meat. Fab B replaces those phosphates lost in rigor meaning you increase moisture retension and yield. You will find that shrinkage is much less. This product does have a flavor factor also, it was a factor in the reason for DrBBQ's win in TX on Chris Lilly's show. I talked with Ed Roith and he made it clear that Doc's brisket had much more beef flavor than the other two briskets.

There are a number of Tx cooks I have met that are cooking brisket in high heat short cooks, Johnny Trigg and James Rice are two examples of cooks that use these techniques and win on a regular basis."

As a current update from me--it is even more expensive than before and I will continue to use it for Comp.
But, not at home.
I love my neighbors, but....:oops:

Take the "best shot" you want on results--with or without is up to you!

TIM

Jeff, the theory is:

Phosphates In Meat Products
    • Stabilize Color
      • Polyphosphates (SMPH) provide pH 6.5-6.6 to retard oxidation of natural meat pigments that accelerate at the normal ph of meat (5.2-6.0
    • Increased Tenderness
      • Phosphates (SMPH, TSPP) cause dissociation of actomyosin and improve tenderness of all meats.
      • Action not associated with pH
      • Pyrophosphates combine with magnesium to give muscle relaxation and improve tenderness

This go-round I ordered the B lite but it has not showed up yet. :frown: It has been quite some time, I guess I need to call and see what it up.

Eating BBQ can be bad for you heart FAB or not.

I used FAB B lite at Sugar Creek for the first time. I liked the results. 3rd. I used some of Yankee's wisdom that he told me at the KCBS Banquet. Thanks Yankee.

Ok dumb question but thats why were here right?? What is Fab B and how do you use it??
Not dumb, I did not know what it was either. Thanks for asking.

Lots of "older" judges out there but they are taking the risk tasting something cooked by strangers.

Eating BBQ can be bad for you heart FAB or not...
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Back