Chili Cheese Hot Dogs

dannypat21

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Growing up in Southern California could be a bit rough. I mean yeah we got great weather, beaches, beautiful girls and tri-tips on every corner, but I never had a good hot dog when I was a youngster. In fact most people would send you to Wienershnitzel for a hot dog. We do have Tommys, which is known for their chili everything and I have been trying to make a chili that rivals theirs. I dont have the exact ratio's of all the ingredients, I just go by taste.

4 pounds ground beef
couple onions
fresh garlic
1 guiness
2 cups beef broth
wooster sauce
tabasco
3/4 small can tomato paste
pasilla chile powder
ancho chile powder
california chile powder
cumin
paprika
salt
black pepper
beau monde
dry mustard
4 bay leaves
few sprigs of tyhme

Saute the onion and garlic in butter. Brown the ground beef once onions sweat. I season all throughout cook starting when ground beef is cooking. Once beef is browned add wet ingredients. I simmer this a couple hours and it looks like this.

005-4.jpg

I then make a roux with the fat from the chili and some flour.

007-6.jpg

The roux really smoothes the chili out. Grilled up some Nathhans hot dogs, added some mustard, chili and cheese.

009-4.jpg

Those dogs look great, and that consistency you have with your chili is perfect. Thanks for the recipe:-D

Tri-tip on every corner?!? :shock:

How do you get anything done with all that distraction? :whistle:

The dogs look good but I like some chopped onion on mine. Please keep that in mind next time :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look great and probably tastes great too. I'm originally from NE Pa. where coney dogs are one of the basic food groups. I've been trying to replicate the chili from one of my favorite hot dog joints, Abe's in Wilkes-Barre,Pa. It's been around since the 30's. I'm pretty sure that they didn't use 3 chili powders, beau monde, and Guiness. That being said, maybe the "Californication" of the Coney Island hot dog may be worth a try. Now, where did I leave that beau monde?

Hey Danny...looks awesome! Any chance you have the measuremenst on the powders etc that you used?? Would love to make a batch of these up!

4 pounds ground beef
couple onions
fresh garlic
1 guiness
2 cups beef broth
wooster sauce
tabasco
pasilla chile powder
ancho chile powder
california chile powder
cumin
paprika
salt
black pepper
beau monde
dry mustard
4 bay leaves
few sprigs of tyhme

I'd love to have a good coney chili recipe. Each time I watch DDD and they go somewhere where they make it, I listen and it looks simple, but hard to replicate.

what is beau monde?

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
Beau Monde is a seasoning salt. It can be found in the spice section of your grocery store. I have a bottle in my cupboard made by Spice Islands. If you can't find it, ask your grocer to stock it for you. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]Recipe for Beau Monde Seasoning Salt:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 tablespoon ground cloves [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 tablespoon salt [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 tablespoon ground bay leaf [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 tablespoon ground allspice [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]2 tablespoons ground pepper [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 tablespoon ground white pepper [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 teaspoon ground nutmeg [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 teaspoon ground mace [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]1 teaspoon celery seed[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]In a small mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients. Pour into a tightly closed jar and store in a cool, dry place.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Yields approximately 9 tablespoons.[/SIZE]​

Great looking Dog's. I always save some chilli and cheese for the fries too.My son loves Tommy's. I just can't eat that much.

Hey Danny...looks awesome! Any chance you have the measuremenst on the powders etc that you used?? Would love to make a batch of these up!

4 pounds ground beef
couple onions
fresh garlic
1 guiness
2 cups beef broth
wooster sauce
tabasco
pasilla chile powder
ancho chile powder
california chile powder
cumin
paprika
salt
black pepper
beau monde
dry mustard
4 bay leaves
few sprigs of tyhme

Sorry, no exact measurements. I add the spices all throughout the cook and just keep tasting. I also forgot to mention that once the meat is browned I mash meat with a potato masher. Seems to create a smoother texture.

Oh yeah, I'd hit a few of those. That chili reminds me a lot of the chili that they used on the dogs around here back when we had the Coney Island Hot Dog shop. They used shredded cabbage on the dogs and a few a squirts of hot sauce was customary. I'd like to give that sauce a go too. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

That looks fantastic - thanks for the pron & recipe! :clap2:

Back