Rib appearance score, please

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Here is my first 2009 competition practice box. I'd appreciate your appearance scores. My ego has been checked at the door, so let 'er rip. I know it's a little rough and needs more attention to detail.

20090321RibsPractice_3.jpg

Thanks in advance,
John

Too much sauce, looks like only 4 ribs, I would give a 6 max.

Thanks, Bill. They actually have one very thin coat of a thin sauce, but that's how pictures go sometimes.

I appreciate your input.

John

Is that four stacked on four?

The greens at the top are covering a small portion of the ribs, which may appear sloppy to a judge.

well just got out of judging school yesterday, and can tell you that there is to muck sauce on the ribs. i must ask though, are all the ribs cut cleanly through so that they aren't stuck together cause is sure doesn't look like it but all around i will give it a 6:p:p

I would give it a 7

bottom right hand rib cut on an angle needs to be square up - noticeable against the others.

The greenery could be cleaner.

the color is fantastic.

I would go with a 7. Nice color, but it is a little sloppy looking.

The ribs themselves have a lot of promise if trimmed more evenly. The garnish looks like it was hasty and has a bit too much in the box to the point of overflowing the sides. 7 with a higher potential with just a few corrections.

That's how I stack mine and have done well. Like some here, people say it looks like there are only 4 ribs. I guess that may bite me in the butt sometime. Just an FYI for ya.

Anyway. I'd give it a 7 or 8. I'm guessing the picture is making look like too much sauce.

7. Agree with some of the other comments about general cleanup, and squaring of the cuts.

Shift the ribs down to the front a bit more or make the spread a little bit wider, so they appear slightly larger.. Other option is to cut off a little less when trimming.

IS that green leaf lettuce and parsley mixed together ?

i like the look nice and jucey but i can only see four i went bake and realy looked i see 6 now... i would give them a 7

I'd give it a 7. I clearly see 8 ribs, but I agree with the comments that an overall attention to tightening up on the evenness and uniformity of the ribs would help, as would reducing the "salad explosion" effect.

Also, when stacking, be sure to check that you can close your box without dinging the top row. I'm overly paranoid about messy box lids.

I would give it a 7.

I like the color, and they look pretty tasty to me.:-D Like many other peoples' comments, I would try to make more even and square cuts. The meat could also be centered in the box a little more. The meat could be enhanced a little better with more attention paid to the lettuce/parsley placement.

I'm with everyone else. 7. I like the color of the ribs, don't feel like the sauce is a negative at all. One angle cut rib, but for the most part a good job on them being even. Greenery is just too much and too sloppy.

Thanks so much for all of the honest feedback. The picture is definitely not doing me any favors, but my wife took our good camera (Nikon D50) with her to SoCal. I had to make due with our old craptastic 2MP cheap camera.

There are eight ribs stacked four on four. They were cut and easy to see as eight in person.

I typically do putting green boxes, but I was lazy with this one and it shows. It's leaf lettuce around the edges and parsley on top of shredded lettuce for the center.

I had three racks with pretty crooked (angled) bones, so that's what happened with the top right rib.

Thanks again,
John

FYI - For comparison, here is a box from last season that was taken with the good camera. This is a better representation of my typical garnish.

The answer to your next question is 9-9-7-9-8-8 :-D

Aug2008_1_1.jpg

If it was me I wouldn't stack, and I would lay them on a solid parsley putting greens.

I am no expert, but I do judge, and did my first contest at NKC, got 18th out of 73 on ribs, on apperence I got 1,7 and 3,9 and 2,8, so I'm still learning too, being very green I was rushing and my wife says, aren't you going to take pics of your turnin's, I said FARK that, no need to add another step on my first contest.

judging your's I would give it a 7, maybe in person looking at it still a 7 or maybe a 8

EDIT: I was referring to the first pic.

I go with a seven, nice color on the ribs, just a little sloppy on the knife skills.

I do like and have turned in the 4 on 4. In this particular batch I would move the top layer down a bit to centralize the whole lot. 5 x 5 may work well with that size rib as well.

I would gobble them up though. Were they tasty?

Back