Sourdough Biscuits

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Day 5 of my Sourdough Starter experiment.

Discard half of the starter, but as mentioned in my other thread about it, kitchn.com recommended using the discard to make something like Sourdough Biscuits.

The starter on Day 5. Looking and smelling quite good -

The dough, being folded numerous times to create those nice layers -

On the pan and yes, I can never stand to toss out unused dough to make sure all the biscuits are uniformly sized -

After 18-20 minutes in a 425F oven they're done and looking good -

Plated -

Breakfast is served -

I have to say these were the best biscuits I've ever made. I've used a number of recipes but I think the use of the sourdough starter made these so much better.

The Sourdough Starter experiment is a resounding success. I fed the starter once more today, will let it sit out for the day and then refrigerate it.

Since I haven't made bread in a whole 2 days (!) I think it'll be time to put it to use very soon.

As always, thanks for reading through this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

I’m also on Day 5 (I think).
Right before I fed my starter yesterday it had risen considerably and had a nice funk to it.

We will see what today brings.

(Probably biscuits based on the drool generated by this post)

Last edited:
This is great! You may have given me the inspiration to try this myself. I've been leery to try something where I'd have to discard stuff that is in short supply in my parts, but using it for biscuits is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome, Dom!

I know we're going to whip up some bread, but those biscuits look excellent (may have to twist momma's arm towards that direction).

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm glad that we can all help each other out and inspire one another. That's what I love about this forum.

As mentioned, sourdough starter is a first for me. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Now, what's next? I was reading through the recipe on thekitchn.com for sourdough bread and although I have a ton of time to experiment, two days to make bread is more than I want to put in. The sourdough babka recipe from theperfectloaf.com may be what I tackle next. I've made a similar cinnamon streusel braided loaf where the rolled up loaf is cut down the center lengthwise to expose the filling before braiding. This recipe is quite similar. We'll see.

And George, yeah you're right. I've gotta watch what I make to avoid packing on pounds while staying home. At least my wife and I can get outside for our walks.

Regards,
-Dom

Those are really nice biscuits Dom, the whole starter endeavor really paid off for you it's been good reading to follow the results thanks for sharing it!

I can almost smell them and taste them... Nice work... :thumb:

Holy crap Batman! This looks even better than the cauliflower/bacon/shrimp pizza. No way to beat a good homemade biscuit... just no way.

OUTSTANDING. :thumb: Guess I am an enabler but pancakes made with discard starter are Tastee too.Just sayin. :wink:

Inspired by Dom’s biscuit post I made discarded sourdough pancakes this morning on the Blackstone.

Amazing!

622b7e55ee450a41c1ba54b0854a0879.jpg

efc1ce6772ff85148cbba809e37fb50e.jpg

Recipe?:hungry:

One I used this morning

INGREDIENTS

4 Tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup milk (
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups sourdough starter, stirred
1 ½ cups flour