THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
Since the dill in my Aerogarden is growing like crazy I needed to do something with the trimmings. So I decided on Garlic Dill Sourdough. Oh man the flavour is off the charts, but very little rise in the dough. Maybe with the garlic and dill I should have added some yeast to help give it some umpf!

The flavour is hard to imagine. Sourness from the sourdough starter. Dill flavour from the 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill and a hint of garlic from the 4 grated cloves of garlic. I will definitely do this again, but add some yeast to help with the rise!

Garlic-Dill-Sourdough-2.jpg

Garlic-Dill-Sourdough-3.jpg

Garlic-Dill-Sourdough-4.jpg

Garlic-Dill-Sourdough-1.jpg

I found this to increase oven spring: After pre heating the oven, when you first place the dough in it, shut off the heat for about 20 minutes. Thereafter increase to the baking temperature until done, in my case 205 interior.

Here are my questions because I really want to try this. Could you do your proof longer or hotter? Did you fold it a few times to make sure the gluten was strong enough? I have been making bread for a year now and I have only added cheese and bacon without noticing a lot of difference in rise. I have used with and without adding yeast and obviously with yeast was taller. My book that I go by do not call for any yeast when mixing in extra ingredients. Thanks!

Here are my questions because I really want to try this. Could you do your proof longer or hotter? Did you fold it a few times to make sure the gluten was strong enough? I have been making bread for a year now and I have only added cheese and bacon without noticing a lot of difference in rise. I have used with and without adding yeast and obviously with yeast was taller. My book that I go by do not call for any yeast when mixing in extra ingredients. Thanks!

Apparently, the raw garlic is the culprit in stopping the rise. So when I do this again, I'll use roasted garlic as the cooking process kills the anti-bacterial properties of garlic which affects the fermentation.

Think they already nailed it probably work it a bit more, You need better structure and a good tight outer skin helps a ton with oven spring. When I do mine I use a dutch oven and throw in a few ice cubes in the dutch oven when I put it in the oven for some additional steam.
I Have just started reviving my old starter from an old batch I had saved. Looking forward to making some sourdough again.

Back