How to "clean" smoker grates?

Maybe one of these chain mail CI scrubbers?
51YY-fQkRiL.jpg
Same issue. Thanks for the reply, this will be very helpful for me.

Thanks for the responses!

I tried the weed torch method earlier this week. I had some slight warping. Nothing a 2×4 and a mallet couldn't fix. I had a similar idea that Atucker had. Unfortunately it gummed up fairly quickly.

I think I'll go after the expanded grate with a putty knife followed with tin foil.

I've seen a couple different versions of the bristleless brush but wasn't sure if they would work all that well with the expanded grate?

Maybe one of these chain mail CI scrubbers?
51YY-fQkRiL.jpg

Love my chainmail scrubbers for pots, pans, baking / smoking pans, and the SS grates on my Weber kettle. Wouldn't want to try it on the expanded metal grates on my LSG cabinet.

I put mine on my grill, cover with aluminum foil then fire it up for a few minutes. It turns the bits to ash then I just brush off. That's how we used to do it in the restaurants and I've never had it warp.

I Use one of these after reading about the potential hazards of wire bristle brushes firstly going over the grates with the scraper knocking off any large debris and then flipping it to the scourer to get deeper into the grates. Works great and the long handle allows easy access to the back of the pit.

Attachments

• 20190108_161740.jpg
    20190108_161740.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 222
I Use one of these after reading about the potential hazards of wire bristle brushes firstly going over the grates with the scraper knocking off any large debris and then flipping it to the scourer to get deeper into the grates. Works great and the long handle allows easy access to the back of the pit.

Nice. What is it/where do you get it/do you have a link?

Trisodium phosphate

I still use a regular bristle brush most of the time but even that is a pain to get the expanded metal grates clean. So far they haven't killed me since the 1950's. Of course I was supposed to be dead years ago according to OSHA and the rest of the safety experts.
The weed burner is the easiest option. It doesn't remove all debris but what's left isn't going to hurt anything or give it a rancid taste.

Another vote for the foil ball. I also have a grill brush that has metal bristles on one side and the brillo pad on the other. Go over with the bristles, wipe with the brillo.

Love my chainmail scrubbers for pots, pans, baking / smoking pans, and the SS grates on my Weber kettle. Wouldn't want to try it on the expanded metal grates on my LSG cabinet.
They sell larger ones.
511VM9qahzL._SX425_.jpg

I throw mine in the oven and turn it on the self cleaning mode. Oven and grates come out clean. A two for one deal.

Success!

Took going to two Bunnings but I did manage to find one. The one that DevilsGrill has is HUGE. Pictures do not do it justice. I didn't need one quite that big (and it had to fit in the suitcase!) so I opted for the smaller one. Really nice quality, heavy SS construction. Glad I took the time to go get one.

PkOGo9tl.jpg

yVbzLXzl.jpg

I still use a wire brush and after bringing up to cooking temp I use heavy blue shop towels to wipe all the grates off.any bristles that might have been knocked loose and stuck to the grates are wiped away.on a grill the high heat makes it easier to not have any stick but the smokers running at lower temps wont toast the grease and make it flake off easy.Let me tell you how not to do it. Was home alone 1 day and may have had more than a couple of beers,I had put in a new dishwasher only a few days before and thought hey lets see how good it really works,put a rack off my Weber gas grill in there and set for pots and pans. Got most of it off but wife told me next day dish washer wasn't working,chunks had got under the float that sets water level,cleared and drove on. the next day dishes didn't dry,limit had tripped under the bottom and had to pull unit back out to find it :cry: ,so don't even think about the dish washer unless you just like working of them lol

I have a galvanized tub from Home depot, I pour a little orange cleaner in it, fill with water.
Remove 22" round grates, spray with Members Mark Oven, Grill Fryer cleaner, let soak. Toss in the tub for a day or two.
Remove grates and scrub with Scotch Brite Heavy Duty pad or stainless steel scrub pad, rinse. Good as new.

Last edited:
I use a bristleless brush

There are many out there like this

https://grillguru.org/best-grill-brush/

I also use a special brush for cleaning grills. Such brushes have very durable construction, has a long handle, comes with a scrapper, has a three-in-one design, has a 360-degree rotator.

I think this is better than a wad of foil. And I also try to clean my gil immediately after cooking.

Back