Best rolls for pulled pork?

Blackened

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's favorite bread/roll/bun is to compliment pulled pork. Is a plain hamburger type bun your bread of choice, or something a little more exotic?

Kings Hawaiian rolls. Just the right amount of sweetness to compliment the pork :thumb:.

+2 on the wallyworld sourdough rolls... I like the chew, crustiness to go with my N. Carolina style Pulled pork. This way the slaw doesn't soak through the sammy

I like either potato rolls or lately I have been getting peperidge farm wheat hamburger buns.

I like the Kings rolls of late, although, I really do like a simple hamburger bun as well.

I usually get the potato buns, or simple hamburger buns, but there can be a sogginess issue with the slaw.. I was thinking about trying a fresh french or sourdough roll for my cook this weekend, but I'm intrigued by the Hawaiian rolls. Aren't they fairly small though?

Bulkie rolls are my favorite for PP

A bulkie roll or bulkie is a New England regional variety of sandwich roll. Sandwiches made with bulkie rolls are very common in area delicatessens, restaurants, and institutional food services. Bulkie rolls are larger and firmer than hamburger buns. The crust is usually slightly crisp or crunchy, but bulkies are not hard rolls. The bread within the roll is similar to ordinary white bread; with a texture that is neither very chewy nor very fluffy; without any yellow color or egg taste; and not noticeably sweet. Bulkie rolls are either plain or topped with poppy seeds

I do not like a large roll, nothing worse than bread overload to ruin a good sandwich. I'll have to try the Hawaiian rolls, sounds like a great match.

Hawaiian rolls and onion buns are both good. Avoid things with a chewier exterior like ciabatta. With those you end up squishing all the tasty pig parts out when you take a bite.

For me personally, I like the cornmeal dusted Kaisers from SAM's. But when we take food somewhere for a party or catering, I like the Kings Hawaiian rolls.

I usually just go get the totally plain cheap white hamburger buns from Vons or Ralphs, I prefer doughy.

Kaiser all the way. I like to take a Kaiser roll, butter the inside, then throw them butter side down onto a hot griddle to toast the inside. Warms up the roll making the inside warm and soft. BAM! On goes the pulled pork and cream based cole slaw. I'm in heaven...now I'm hungry...and I just started a diet!!! Dang you Brethren.

Back