Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
You be the judge
gV65nPn

Attachments

• bbq.jpg
    bbq.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 376
Well thank you man its not fake i can rest assured can even take pics from my leftover for lunch today

Well thank you man its not fake i can rest assured can even take pics from my leftover for lunch today

Fake as in forced with nitrate or something. Not photoshopped.

I will say it's too much to be aesthetically pleasing compared to a nice narrow band

Fake as in forced with nitrate or something. Not photoshopped.

I will say it's too much to be aesthetically pleasing compared to a nice narrow band

Agreed. I think it screams of an overnight dry brine with a celery-infused rub.

My first thought was “mmmm bacon”

Looks strange and forced as mentioned above

Let's go with "enhanced looking" - like a young lady who has assets that you know she did not come by naturally.

That ring might be the real deal- but I've cooked more than a few and never got anything quite like that.

Bottom line how did it taste?

I just never seen such a thick ring under a fat cap. This was something like 16 hours and the ring stayed thin but i believe gets darker and more concentrated.

20190303-231853.jpg

I used Morton tender salt and smoked it until it was about 200 with a toothpick.@ 300 degrees With a cherry rub I use a new braunsfel hondo that is about 8 years old so nothing fancy pit. Its the only way i can get a good smoke ring But taste good to my family

I used Morton tender salt and smoked it until it was about 200 with a toothpick.@ 300 degrees With a cherry rub I use a new braunsfel hondo that is about 8 years old so nothing fancy pit. Its the only way i can get a good smoke ring But taste good to my family

IMHO

Smoke ring adds nothing to the flavor.

Morton’s TQ is a curing salt and should be used sparingly to cure meat. There is no good reason to use it to create a fake smoke ring.
Your family deserves better.

Brother- the smoke ring is just "eye candy"- has nothing to do with....

never mind

you want ring, you get ring, family happy.

that's all that matters.

Party on.

I find it funny that you come here asking if its a good smoke ring or not, people tell you its not really a smoke ring but a change in color due to using a curing salt but you continue to press us that this is how your family likes it and the only way you can get a good "smoke ring".

1. If this is how your family likes it, rock on and keep doing it, no problems there.
2. Dont come here and ask a bunch of BBQ heads if its "Good" or not when you already know its "good for your family" so who cares.
3. Most people would not call that a "good" smoke ring because its not a smoke ring at all its a ring from using curing salt.

Side note you should be extra careful using that salt because to much of a curing salt is bad news.

https://barbecuebible.com/2014/08/26/guide-nitrites-prague-powder-curing-salts/

"But please note: Nitrates and nitrites can be toxic when not used at recommended levels. That’s why most curing salts are tinted pink—to make sure you don’t confuse them with ordinary table salt. (Do not confuse them with Himalayan pink salt, either.)"

so please be careful for your and your family's sake

I had to look that smoker up, there should be no reason you can't get a good smoke ring with charcoal. Especially with KBB.

Thank you for the feedback I know what i was asking and was enlighten I do not take it personal as you may think i have or seem to have. As my other post i was just stating what i used and such with equipment. As stated i have done many different methods from here and other places. But nothing has produce what we liked. I have tried with out the salt and such some say its not brisket it more like corn beef. One thing that has stand true from my point of view is that people quick to judge but not help

Last edited:
Yep. It was the salt.

For Home Meat Curing.
Morton Tender Quick is a fast-cure mix so you can cure meat, poultry or game right in your own kitchen. It gives meats a tasty cured flavor and characteristic pink color. Works particularly well with small cuts of meat, such as pork chops, spareribs and poultry.

Morton Tender Quick mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton Tender Quick is NOT a meat tenderizer.

Back