THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Should I paint the bottom of my uds? I have notice some rust forming.

What are the offical sizes of KCBS turn in boxes? I saw 100 count of hinged boxes at sam's for $9, Is it parsley that you can put in them?

I know you go by temp, but let's say I wanted a 11 lb brisket done by 7 pm what would be a good gauge of a starting point? I'm going to try and make 7 my "turn in" time and do a little practice.

Should I paint the bottom of my uds? I have notice some rust forming.

What are the offical sizes of KCBS turn in boxes? I saw 100 count of hinged boxes at sam's for $9, Is it parsley that you can put in them?

I know you go by temp, but let's say I wanted a 11 lb brisket done by 7 pm what would be a good gauge of a starting point? I'm going to try and make 7 my "turn in" time and do a little practice.

I don't have a drum, but why not paint it???? If it is rusting, wire brush, paint.... if it gets too hot, it will blister like an offset fire box does. I keep my offset fire box oiled and it is fine.

I believe that they are the 9x9 boxes. Not the divided ones. I get mine at Sam's as well for practice and carry out trays for visitors at my comps. Parsley is one of the items allowed.

Rough rule of thumb, is 1 1/2 hrs per pound. That will get you in the ball park. Everyone cooks different. So don't expect them to do so. Allow yourself extra time so they WILL get done. Then wrap and place in a warmed up cooler to "rest".....

Bill

Great thanks for the info. I think the boxes at sam's were 9.5 x 9 so I'm sure that's them. I also have a Chargriller w/ sidebox and I have a lowe's veggie basket for a firebox, but it just doesn't seem to get me where I want for a long cook. What do you use smoke n my i's? Can you get long cooks in imperfect weather? or any cooks in imperfect weather. If it's under 50 and any wind I can't do it.

On the inside or the outside? I'd paint the outside and oil the inside!

In KCBS the containers are 9" x 9" Styrofoam containers, supplied by the competition committee.

Green leaf lettuce (chopped, sliced, shredded or whole), Parsley or Cilantro.

What weight is the brisket, is it a packer or just a flat, what pit are you cooking on, what temperature are you cooking at, what's the weather like, temperature, wind, rain, sleet or snow, what temperature do you want to cook it to, are you cooking to a temperature or until it is done to the probe test.

11lb brisket sounds like a packer, you'll be looking at 14 hours or so at 225 - 250 pit temperature, so for a 7 PM finish you'll need a 5 AM start.

On the inside or the outside? I'd paint the outside and oil the inside!

In KCBS the containers are 9" x 9" Styrofoam containers, supplied by the competition committee.

Green leaf lettuce (chopped, sliced, shredded or whole), Parsley or Cilantro.

What weight is the brisket, is it a packer or just a flat, what pit are you cooking on, what temperature are you cooking at, what's the weather like, temperature, wind, rain, sleet or snow, what temperature do you want to cook it to, are you cooking to a temperature or until it is done to the probe test.

11lb brisket sounds like a packer, you'll be looking at 14 hours or so at 225 - 250 pit temperature, so for a 7 PM finish you'll need a 5 AM start.

What he said. However I have had packers that size finish in a lot less time. YMMV.

quote]

I'm thinking between 11-13 lbs. store has them on sale for 1.89lb. it's a packer on a uds in 30*-40* calm wind, no precip, I think I want to cook w/ no foil to 190* then foil to rest. I would have a thermo in it the whole time. Is using no foil going to give me a dry brisket? I want to do burnt ends also, but I want a nice bark and i've heard that foilling takes away your bark.

Great thanks for the info. I think the boxes at sam's were 9.5 x 9 so I'm sure that's them. I also have a Chargriller w/ sidebox and I have a lowe's veggie basket for a firebox, but it just doesn't seem to get me where I want for a long cook. What do you use smoke n my i's? Can you get long cooks in imperfect weather? or any cooks in imperfect weather. If it's under 50 and any wind I can't do it.

I can get sometimes 2-3 hrs without too much trouble... depending on wind, temps, etc.

Wind kills me, and from what I understand, it does all offsets. Cold weather does some what, as you know, the metal isn't all that thick on these things. Try covering it with either a welder's blanket, or a moving pad... the main chamber only. That helps hold the heat in. Also, if you haven't extended the vent down to the main grate, that will help. If you need higher temps, I throw in some large chunks, or some splits... the wood will really jump your temps in a hurry. I usually only use RO lump.... Charcoal itself is ok, but you can not get the temps out of them as you can lump.

See if that makes sense, or if that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Bill

Try raising the bottom of the fuel basket another inch or two, this will help air flow under the fire and should keep it hotter, Smoke in my I says he can get 2 - 3 hours, so start a fresh chimney of charcoal at the two hour mark, then again every hour and forty minutes or as needed, keep the fire hot and well fueled and you should be OK.

Smooookin says he's had packers finish quicker, so have I on a UDS with more direct heat, but typically on SFB like a Chargriller it may take an hour twenty a pound or longer.

Back