How to increase smokiness in insulated cabinet smoker?

dustcollector

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
dust
Hi guys,

I am moving away from offset and just got a used insulated cabinet smoker, no brand, as it was built by the seller's family.

But look similar to LSG IVS.

I realised that my briskets didn't turn out as smoky as my offset. No smoke ring too (although i understand there's not difference in taste)

I even added one small split of wood log in, bark formation seems longer too, usually i see bark forming at 5 hour mark, but 7 hours in it, brisket still look wet and light in color.

No water pan as my humidity is quite high.

Am i doing it wrong?

How many wood chunks should I put in? The chunks don't seem to be burning, as i opened the charcoal basket, and so many charred but intact wood chunks.

Sounds like you need to open your air inlet more.

What temp are you smoking at? Sounds like it may be too low and adding oxygen to the fire will raise that.

Those wood chunks will burn quicker and the bark will form quicker with a hotter fire.

If the inlet vent is already wide open, you may have to get one of those Guru gadgets to force air in with a fan.

Learning a new smoker is all part of the fun, but too bad you started with an expensive brisket! Hope it wasn't ruined.

I use a maze in the firebox. That let's me open the exhaust a little more to get more airflow. I use a lot of smaller wood chunks. I don't buy into the fist size wood chunks. Way too big for my insulated cabinet. I never have any of the issues you listed. Have fun learning the new toy. It's the only type of cooker that can get anywhere near my stick burner.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I started adding some chunks when I got the meat on, then some more every 2 hrs. or so. I had plenty of airflow, had to up the smoke to get some smoke flavor.

You've gone from wood in flame to charcoal/chunk and you're gonna get a different type of smoke.
Charcoal/chunk is smoldering wood. It doesn't have enough air to burst into flame. And its gonna have a different flavor.

Not sure the size of your firebox area, but on my gravity fed, I put a few mini-splits in and let them burn. I get a good clean burn, a nice bark, deep smoke ring, and good smokey flavor. As someone above mentioned, the goal is the clean burn. When I look at the splits in the firebox, it has burst into flames and it not just smoldering.

Using a maze or some way to keep the fire as small as possible means you can draft more air through the cooker which helps with smokiness.

I also find small chunks are better than bigger chunks, but I know some people use small splits and get good results as well.

I build my firebox with 1 layer of coals then 1 layer of chunks then top off with 1 more layer of coals.

Using briquettes will allow for much more consistent burn and better smoke ring, but I prefer to use lump as I find a flavor is better. A mix of lump. And briquettes can be a good way to find the right balance.

Allowing the smoker to really come to temp also helps with the results. I give my LSG at least 90 minutes to come to temp.

I have a Humphrey's vertical and get a nice smoke flavor profile and ring using charcoal and wood chunks. Had similar success with previous WSM.

At what temperature are you cooking? I do think in verticals a water pan filled with water helps with the ring and the bark, but others may feel this is not the case. Also, I feel like if I put the brisket right into the smoker from the fridge I get a better smoke ring as well. I do use an Inkbird temperature controller with the top vent opened a pinky-width.

Attachments

• IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4612.jpg
    IMG_4612.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 226
Not sure the size of your firebox area, but on my gravity fed, I put a few mini-splits in and let them burn. I get a good clean burn, a nice bark, deep smoke ring, and good smokey flavor. As someone above mentioned, the goal is the clean burn. When I look at the splits in the firebox, it has burst into flames and it not just smoldering.
Way different firebox. I used mini splits in my gf. I never liked it as much as my insulated cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My IVS will be here in a week or two. I know when I used my brother in law's, there was decent smoke flavor. We used royal oak charcoal, and hickory chunks from my wood pile. Moisture was at 21%. Also used the maze plates in the charcoal box. Good luck! Learning a new smoker is the most fun, and frustrating thing.

I have a Humphrey's Down East Beast vertical smoker and I have plenty of smoke flavor in all meats and sides.

Your wood could be too dry?

I've also read a few different times that you meat absorbs smoke the first couple hours and won't absorb much if any afterwards. I'll add chunks the first 2-3 hours on my gravity feed smoker but won't add any after.

I had the same problem with a series of insulated verticals from different makers including a 270 Smoker that I ended up giving away. I tried without success with BGE XL which I still keep to cook other things like steaks and wings.
I used to spend a lot on wood from a special supplier.
Now I use a good stick burner. A Shirley Fabs Patio. Problem solved.

Back